2001 Explorer Sport trouble.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport trouble....

Dolfan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport 4.0l
Hey there...New member here and first post and hoping someone has an answer to my issue. My 2001 Explorer Sport cranks but won't start. I'm new to the Ford world so still feeling my way around under the hood. I ran to the store and came home. All was well. I didn't use it the next day. The following day is when the trouble started. It cranks but doesn't start. I've checked fuses that I think relate to a possible problem...fuel pump..starter.. but they looked good. I've heard about the issues with the anti theft and I've tried the remedies but not sure if I'm doing right.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dolfan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel supply is always my first check. Pop the gas cap and have a buddy listen down the filler neck while you turn the key to on (not start). He should hear the pump whine gently for ~2 seconds as it attempts to pressurize the system. If you don't hear anything, try swapping in a known good relay. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, check pressure at the fuel rail. You can use the poor man's method, which involves cycling the ignition switch on and off a few times (leaving it in the on position for a few seconds each time) in order to pressurize the rail, then depressing the schrader valve on the rail with a small screwdriver---you should be rewarded with a spray of fuel if you're getting some type of pressure. (Disclaimer: this is a fire hazard, and generally poor form, so don't do it around anything hot)

How many miles on the vehicle? Any codes?

It's probably fuel supply, good way to know for sure and to possibly eliminate a lot of useless diagnostics is to spray a bit of fuel or starting fluid down the throttle body and see what happens.

Obviously if it chugs a bit and starts or tries to, it's fuel.
If it does nothing it's spark.

SYB350-large.jpg

Thank you guys both for the replies. There are no codes and it's got 56,000 miles on it. I'll try the starter fluid on it tomorrow for sure. How much fluid should I put in there? Where is the schrader valve on the rail? I've followed the rail but don't see the valve.

Again thank you for all the help. Also it's a 4.0l

Thank you guys both for the replies. There are no codes and it's got 56,000 miles on it. I'll try the starter fluid on it tomorrow for sure. How much fluid should I put in there? Where is the schrader valve on the rail? I've followed the rail but don't see the valve.

Again thank you for all the help. Also it's a 4.0l

The valve should have a blue cap on it and is located near the throttle linkage, you'll see it.

A couple short sprays for the starter fluid while cranking the engine.

Thank you Robman. I'll look for it tomorrow.

Im heading out in a few to try the things you guys mentioned. Do you know which relay's I need to check and where they are at? I don't have the manual.

Do me a favor check your Enertia shut off switch
And check the connection , mines burned out a couple times with a no start. Stumped my mind could of never figured it out.

Thanks swshawaii for the info. ccm2001 I check the inertia switch and its down and the connection looks ok. I dont hear the fuel pump kicking on either. It's been single digits here in PA this week so my time outside has been limited to try things.

Thanks guys.

Ok finally had a break in the frigid weather to get out and check things out. There is fuel in the rail so the pump is ok. All fuses and relays are ok (swapped out with known good ones). I am now thinking it's the CPS. If I'm correct the RPM needle should move slightly when the car is first starting? So if it's the CPS how difficult is it to change out?

Thanks again guys!

Latest update.....

Ok so I don't hear the fuel pump coming on so I sprayed starter fluid into the air intake and it started for a few seconds...sputtered and shut off. Obviously I'm not getting fuel but before I drop the tank and replace the pump can it be anything else?

Thanks guys.

I'm going through the same thing as you over here in NJ. Fuel pump is on the way out and my Explorer has a rough time starting when the weather is below freezing. As soon as I get my tax refund back, I'm ordering a new fuel pump to install. That being said, it might be worth a look at some of the threads here on replacing the fuel pump. I am strongly considering cutting an access hole into the floor of my Explorer to replace the fuel pump, instead of dropping the tank. In my opinion it would be quicker and that means less time in the cold weather. Now if you had a garage, it would be a different story. Good luck.

I looked under the backseat today hoping for an access door. There is a hard plastic cover under the seat. I'm guessing its for support for the seat. I don't have a garage sadly so I'll be outside dropping the tank. I will get my pump from Rockauto. It's where I get all my parts.

I cut the floor in my '01 Sport and I don't regret it a bit. Several times I had to enter the tank after replacing the pump (problem wasn't the pump; it was the pressure regulator housing, which I replaced with a home made one made of brass and copper plumbing parts and fuel line hose and hose clamps). I also inserted a check valve and it FIRES right up now with the right pressure (62 psi).

How did you know exactly where to cut the opening?

Im having the same problem as you up here in Vermont. I've figured the fuel pump has been on it's way out for a while, but I could get her started with starting fluid before. Now, even with starting fluid i can crank the engine and rev it, but it quickly sputters and dies out if i take my foot off the accelerator.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel Pump Opening

Where to cut opening:
oel8sxkhb

Back