2001 Premium radio sub out question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Premium radio sub out question

jynx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer
I need some help with the wiring for the factory amp/sub harness for my 2001EB explorer. I had 2 aftermarket units stolen along with a busted window both times, so I'm going back to my factory premium radio.

First of all, I've rewired and soldered all the wires on the two larger radio harnesses inside the dash and everything works. Radio lights, steering wheel controls, no problems. I have not soldered the 3rd 8 pin harness with 4 wires coming off it. Is this harness for the factory amp/sub? It's the only thing not connected and the factory sub does not play, so I am assuming it is but need help with the wiring from here.

Here's an overview of my setup: Soldered to the radio harness, I added 4 pairs of speaker wire (FL, FR, RL, RR) that run into the speaker-level input channels "main" and "2" (front and rear) on AudioControl's LC7 three-input line converter in the trunk. Then, I connected the output channels "main" and "2" on the LC7 into an aftermarket 4 channel amp for the highs, and output channel "3" on the LC7 into a mono amp for the subs. So as it is now, I have 2 full-range sepaker-level inputs coming off the radio and going into the LC7, and 3 RCA outputs coming out of the LC7 going to the 2 aftermarket amps. Since the 3rd RCA output for bass on the LC7 is being drawn from the rear full range speaker input, the bass is very weak until i turn the gain WAY up on both the LC7 AND sub amp. The bass is loud but very distorted and it simply sounds like something is about to be badly damaged.

What wires should I connect into the unused 3rd input on the LC7? This input should be for isolated strong bass frequencies. I have this 8 pin radio harness with 4 wires.... are either of those for the +/- to the factory amp? My other thought was to reconnect the harness behind the radio to the factory wires and get the factory amp working, then bypass the factory sub by moving the +/- wires that would go to it into the LC7 instead. It just seems to be obvious that 3 inputs -> 3 outputs would be much better than 2 inputs -> 3 outputs which is what I have now.

Hope that is clear enough to understand what I am trying to do. If anyone needs pictures of my wiring in the trunk to better understand what's going on, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am getting ready to do the same thing but I am going to us a Audiocontrol LC6i. Here is how I am going to wire mine.

front left and right from radio to main input
rear left and right from radio to 2nd input
sub from amp to 3rd input

You want to use the signal coming from the factory sub amp for the 3rd input and not from the radio because the signal from the radio does not put out a strong enough signal.

Thanks for the reply. So I should reconnect/solder the 4 wires of the 8 pin harness behind the radio? That harness powers the factory amp right?

Also, when you say use the signal coming from the factory sub amp, do you mean the +/- wires that comes out of the amp and go straight to the factory sub?

One last thing, do you know if the factory amp powers only the sub? I wouldn't think it powers the door speakers too, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

So I should reconnect/solder the 4 wires of the 8 pin harness behind the radio? That harness powers the factory amp right?

Yes those wires send the signal to the sub amp to turn it on.

Also, when you say use the signal coming from the factory sub amp, do you mean the +/- wires that comes out of the amp and go straight to the factory sub?

Yes you want to run the wires that come out of the amp and go to the sub and run them to your LC7 3rd input.

One last thing, do you know if the factory amp powers only the sub? I wouldn't think it powers the door speakers too, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes the amp that powers the factory sub only powers the subwoofer.

Got the harness rewired and soldered, tested it, my factory sub plays again. Gonna bypass the sub and reroute the amp output line to the LC7 now. Hopefully the bass response will be much much better now that I'm not pulling filtered frequencies off the rear channel. Thanks for all your help!

It should. make sure you adjust the gains per Audiocontrols instructions for best sound quality.

Please search on here for "Premium" and "Mach" radios. Those are different and unique in how you would wire in new speakers and subwoofers.

FWI, the factory Explorer radio that you have that came with sub is not a Premium radio, it is called a Mach radio. They both look identical in front, the Premium has no subwoofer output, just four signals.

The Mach unit(both are high quality Pioneers) has five outputs, 20Wx4 and an 80W sub output. The sub output is bass only, there are no low frequencies in the four speaker outputs. The frequencies are separated in the Mach HU.

FYI, the Mach has two signals in that sub output, the mute function of the sub is controlled by that second signal. It will negatively affect any aftermarket sub you try to drive with it. I spoke to a pro of those two Pioneers, he tried to help me to feed a JL sub.

After confusion in two conversations(he wasn't sure of how to cut the mute signal out, the exact electrical device), I mentioned wanting RCS ouputs for aftermarket amps.

FYI, both of those factory HUs can have RCA outputs installed into them. I have my Mach radio installed and my sub out(blown). The HU has the display issue fixed, and five RCA outputs, it is currently sending OEM speaker signals through stock wiring/speakers. I have three amps and five speakers ready to install, just not time yet to do it.

Let me know if you might like to contact the man about the RCA ouputs, he is the best to work on those, those are all that he does(side work). I found him on eBay originally, he's a gentleman. Regards,

Back