Explorer PIU Overhead Cut Out Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer PIU Overhead Cut Out Question

Yes a sizable hole and odd part is there are not a bunch of lose wire or connections up there?? My Garmin and a garage remote, hmmmmm now that's a thought. Thanks for the suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think you could get something from a local trim repair shop or custom radio shop (backer board and matching fabric) and make up a panel to cover it up.

Hi all,
I am looking at possibly buying a 2015 PI Utility with 125k miles. It is in pretty good condition but there is a rectangular hole cut out of the headliner right behind the area where the map lights are. This was a PA state vehicle and it looks like all the Utility vehicles have this same hole cut for a communications radio or something. My question is what could I do to hide this hole? I am thinking possibly putting a little plastic storage slot there, or maybe I could find a similar piece of headliner to cut and fit in that spot. I just think leaving that hole there is kind of ugly. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi all,
I am looking at possibly buying a 2015 PI Utility with 125k miles. It is in pretty good condition but there is a rectangular hole cut out of the headliner right behind the area where the map lights are. This was a PA state vehicle and it looks like all the Utility vehicles have this same hole cut for a communications radio or something. My question is what could I do to hide this hole? I am thinking possibly putting a little plastic storage slot there, or maybe I could find a similar piece of headliner to cut and fit in that spot. I just think leaving that hole there is kind of ugly. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mine came out of PA as well with hole that looked like this

PIU Overhead.jpg

I took that hole and made a plastic insert into which I mounted a Homelink and some reading lights. Not perfect, but functional. The plastic sheet when heated in boiling water was pretty easy to shape to fit contours of overhead. Power came from the overhead light, so it is timer controlled.

PIU Overhead HomeLink.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with an existing one on the same topic found using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right).

Peter

I was just going to buy the factory overhead console and install it. That is unless someone has a better one that can be used.

Hey Guys,

I just purchased a 2015 PIU, ex PA State Unit. It has the hole as well, confirmed by others above in the PSP units. This hole is from a light control used with he emergency lighting. I looked into a heavily damaged unit that was at the same auction and it was so wrecked, they did not remove anything. The controller was still up there. Wish I would have taken a better look what the make and model was. I'll try and look around online and see if I can find it.

Welcome to the Forum Alex.:wave:

Peter

Back