2001 ranger 4.0 SOHC

cwinkslinger

Reaction score
City, State
Linton, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger
My ranger ate itself in the driveway last week and due to heavy snow I haven
't had time to eyeball it yet, but I got a real good idea it's a timing chain. So, if the timing chain broke, did I likely bend up valves as well? I think it might be an interference engine, but I don't know for sure. Any help will be appreciated..Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My ranger ate itself in the driveway last week and due to heavy snow I haven
't had time to eyeball it yet, but I got a real good idea it's a timing chain. So, if the timing chain broke, did I likely bend up valves as well? I think it might be an interference engine, but I don't know for sure. Any help will be appreciated..Thanks!

More than likely if you did break a chain or jump timing and ran it for any decent amount of time, there is a good chance it did.

If it no longer runs at all then yes either the motor is way out of time or the rear jackshaft bolt broke, either way you have bent valves. Look and see if either valve cover is cracked around the timing chain area. Usually when they go about 75% of the time they take out most the valves on 1 side. The other 25% is when the main drive tensioner blows up and then there are bent vales on both sides.

It's worth pulling the valve covers to take a look, and pulling the heads to inspect the valves.

On mine, the left side chain broke and threw itself through the valve cover without bending any valves.

It definitely IS an interference engine. It is pretty much guaranteed that you have some damaged valves at the least. Pull the valve covers and you should be able to see the status of the chains. A cylinder leakage test will help find damaged valves.

Fixing this is a big job, but probably worth doing if you can do the labor yourself.

Many thanks for all the information fellas, I appreciate it. I'll update my end as I go.

Back