2001 Ranger 4x4 V8 swap with 97.5 drivetrain | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ranger 4x4 V8 swap with 97.5 drivetrain

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you using for a controller for the electric fan?

I'm using the OE pulse width mod relay box from the 2010+ Fusion. I built my own adjustable 2 speed controller that you can barely see behind the washer fluid container in the pic above. The pwm relay has a soft turn on (no big voltahe drop on start) and either 4 or 5 fan speeds to choose from.

I'm on my 4th revision of "my controller". I had to redo it a few times because it would time out on the high speed setting and run the truck hot w/ac on. Right now I'm waiting for some $5 digital pwm controllers from China to try and get it dialed in and able to adjust it from inside the truck. I've got it working good now with my "4th" setup but want some more adjustability.

Does that mean you are using the 2010 relay box and on top of that a pulsewidth modulator?
Or do you switch between the two of them.
Do you have a thread on that?
Reason I ask is that I have a Spal pulse width modulator on my supercharged 98 2 door that I really like but I know it wont last forever.
They were cursed with the circuit board trails burning up when too much current was flowing through them.
Anyway I would like to run electric fans on other vehicles but have not found a controller that I like.
There seems to be some other controllers that seem to be holding up but they don't look as water proof as the Spal unit I have.

Yes I use the factory relay box that is mounted to the fan and use my own box to control it instead of the pcm (Like the fusion). I am cheap and don't like the idea of using aftermarket parts that are expensive and don't last compared to OE stuff. I had a Volvo 2 speed relay setup before this one which was bullet proof.

20180528_082758.jpg

20180528_082823.jpg

That's cool stuff, thanks for posting those pictures.
Somewhere down the road I will look into electric fan controllers again and will keep these in mind.

Great job, awesome truck.

hey , do you get plugged in when you go through inspection? im gathering parts for the 01sport trac and here anything 98 up gets plugged in at inspection ( we have 2 year inspection at the DMV ) just wondering if they can tell what year i have under the hood , if it doesn't matter ill strip my sport and just reuse all that xdt2 stuff , otherwise i gotta start over with 01 stuff

I spy coilovers, this truck is sweet
someday when you get a chance update this thread we want the juicy details!
Love the rear springs, DIY and no blocks!

Another thread bump...

You mentioned the front LS earlier. I'm looking to swap the SLA D35 front auto locker, to a good LS for Hwy use, and towing reasons.

Can you share any model specs/details, and +/- experiences with yours so far?

Everything I have looked at has bad reviews, and is making it difficult for me to choose something.

Thanks in advance

I have a torsen in my front axle. I dont have a part number handy but I can say I've had nothing but good experiences with it. Install went smoothly and its probably closing in on 30k miles since installed. I dont know it's there till I shift it in 4x4. When I do run it in 4x4 it does make turning much harder for sure unless it's super slick. I do have a locker in the rear so that adds to it.

@EddieMoney is considering torsen for the front diff in the 07 as well so this is great info.
Your Ranger is built very well don't hate us copycats!!

Sad day to report......the Ranger has moved on to a new owner. Bought it back in 2012 and always loved this truck. Nice thing is it's new owner will probably cherish it more than I will as he's been bugging to buy it from me for the last 3 years. He's planning on using it for hunting / his property.

Here's the last picture I took of it (and my new toy). Been looking for a raptor for over a year to mod and finally found the right one.

20210728_171615.jpg

hot dayum that was one clean Ranger
About 30 seconds behind the wheel of the Raptor you will forget the Ranger ever existed :)

It actually took a little longer than 30 seconds, more like a month lol. To be honest the ranger is quicker stoplight to stoplight than the raptor but the raptor shines at 70mph+. Anything over 90 was scary in the ranger and 90mph in the raptor is smother than the wife's expedition on michelins.

The only way I can justify a whipple for the raptor was to sell the ranger. Sold my kenne bell powered gt mustang back in June so kinda have an itch for blower whine. Probably do it next year sometime as I want to do the whole deal (long tubes, large heat exchanger w/fans ect.)

The ol Ranger came back to the shop for a visit. Timing cover is leaking. I definitely miss this truck but it means everything to the new owner so it's in great hands.

20220102_105743.jpg

Back