• Register Today It's free!

2002-2005 Exploder?

SnuffThePunkz

Reaction score
City, State
Surrey, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 F-250HD Diesel 4x4
So I've posted this on reddit and FTE and I'm kinda surprised with the positive reaction in getting so far, but I figure that you guys would be the best resource for information.

I'm in the market for a kinda smaller 4 door SUV. I recently had a kid and my current DD a lifted 92 F-250HD ext-cab 4x4 isn't the most practical vehicle for my wife as she's stuck in the back with my daughter and climbing behind seats and on the awful half bench. She's a trooper but she deserves a bit better. She has a 4 cyl/5 spd escape which is great but not stout enough for my liking as a DD. I would be looking at the 4.6L V8 4x4, likely EB/Limited.

Now I could easily go for an expedition which was my first plan, but I don't necessarily need something that big or thirsty, and this generation just looks damn good to me visually, but I've heard nothing but horror stories about them. And I have no desire to go newer (can't justify the jump in cost from 2-4k to 10k+), might go earlier but I'm not a fan of the bug eye front end.

I don't need this vehicle to tow or haul or 4x4 other than kid stuff/groceries/luggage if we go a trip as I am keeping my truck for work/4-wheeling.

So my question is to those who own them, is it as bad as the internet says? Worse? Have you had good experiences? Should I keep looking?

For background: I do work in a full shop, can rebuild axles and do most work myself, rebuilding engines and transmissions are something the shop specializes in more so Porsches and other expensive cars.

TL;DR is a 2002-2005 explorer worth buying?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe they are worth it. They're in the higher end of the reliability spectrum, they're easy to work on, and parts are always readily available for good prices.

My 2003 4.6L Limited has served me beyond well.

Some of the areas to be mindful of (as any model has) can be tracked down with a bit of forum searching. I'm guilty of not really knowing them completely because I've never had any part fail on mine in 5 years (that wasn't directly related to an accident she was in - further proving my faith in it).

-Dubya

Excellent resource for specific model year issues. Would be very surprised if you weren't aware of this site. GL

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/

That site is my main hesitation on this generation though the 04-05 substantiality drop in complaints. But since posing the question a lot of people have rallied to the generation's defense stating they've had nothing but love for them and good experiences.

Edit: I pose the questions here because forums like this are my people. Not the guy who will hear a noise ignore it for a year then scream that a truck is crap when they have to get towed to a dealer and pay $2000 for something that could have cost a 1/4 if they did it themselves.

You guys are the ones who are more likely to do your own work, get into it and know if you made a good purchase, or you regret it.

I know **** or tires, just want to know if its worth it.

Agree, it's known as refinement and ironing bugs. I avoid early models of any new generation vehicle, at least the first two years.

Get a 2004 or 2005

Complaint sites are full of people with complaints. You never hear on those sites from those who've not had issues. There are a ton of Explorers out there. The more the model, the more the issues. Just like people and crime.

I own two third gens, never had any issues beyond any other car out there. Look for them in this order: '05, '04, '03.
Primarily '05 & '04.

I like the way this gen looks. I will maintain them and they will look nice for years to come. I look at other comps of the same period and they already look dated.

I'm currently in the market for an '03, but it's for a project relative to the throttle setup.
Definitely go with the V8. If I'd had my 04 before my 05, I'd have two V8's instead of one.

if you're doing the work yourself, the exploder is definitely worth it. just avoid the 4.0l and the ones that has impending transmission issues. carcomplaints.com is a good site to figure out the most common issues and the stickies on this forum. another good truck is the jeep grand cherokee (WJ) it's not as refined as the exploder but has the room and utility you want (on this one avoid the v8, they are nice but junk) much easier to work with it and parts are cheap.

This may be blasphemy but if you're not a Dodge hater then give the Durango a test. It fits your criteria. I'm new to Explorer after 10 zero-issues years with my '04 5.7l Durango. I won't go out on a limb with any quality comparisons but I will say the "feel" is night & day different.

Same HP, but...
More torque
More responsive, "zoomy" (Explorer is surprisingly sedate)
Better brakes
More comfortable
Better AWD (IMO after getting stuck already with identical tires)

I bought an 2002 4.6L with 26k miles on it, it now has 120k -- the right rear wheel bearing went out and I had to replace the intake manifold when I decided to do some preventive maintenance and change out the factory thermostat a couple of months ago (the factory setup cracked, had to go after market for $250 for parts). It is four wheel drive. It has been a wonderful vehicle overall.
The only other thing is that the odometer quits working now and then. The speedometer works, it's the mileage indicator that keeps active, just not visible. I've pulled the instrument cluster and found some shot solder connections and fixed them, problem solved. No cost

Complaint sites are full of people with complaints. You never hear on those sites from those who've not had issues. There are a ton of Explorers out there. The more the model, the more the issues. Just like people and crime.

I own two third gens, never had any issues beyond any other car out there. Look for them in this order: '05, '04, '03.
Primarily '05 & '04.

I like the way this gen looks. I will maintain them and they will look nice for years to come. I look at other comps of the same period and they already look dated.

I'm currently in the market for an '03, but it's for a project relative to the throttle setup.
Definitely go with the V8. If I'd had my 04 before my 05, I'd have two V8's instead of one.

That was the kinda opinion I was getting from the years, it is surprisingly hard to find exactly the model I want with the right configuration and year. But I think it'll save me the headache later if I wait till I find the right one for the right price instead of jumping on what is available.

if you're doing the work yourself, the exploder is definitely worth it. just avoid the 4.0l and the ones that has impending transmission issues. carcomplaints.com is a good site to figure out the most common issues and the stickies on this forum. another good truck is the jeep grand cherokee (WJ) it's not as refined as the exploder but has the room and utility you want (on this one avoid the v8, they are nice but junk) much easier to work with it and parts are cheap.

I made an account here for the other side of the explorer than just the complaints. I also looked at some Jeeps, it's just not a nice enough of a platform for what I want in a vehicle. I've spent the last decade of my life driving F-Series trucks, started with a 98 XLT F-150, and now a 92 F-250 XLT. I want a nicer vehicle, the creature comforts, yet still be sturdy enough to survive what I'll do to it, and the EB/Limited Explorers look nice.
I was thinking I might have to settle for the v6 as the v8's in the configuration I want are super rare up here, but the more I read about them, and Ford dropping the ball and saying that "It is within the normal operational range". That and a 4.6L can be stolen out of a mustang and have a nicer/stronger block for mods.

This may be blasphemy but if you're not a Dodge hater then give the Durango a test. It fits your criteria. I'm new to Explorer after 10 zero-issues years with my '04 5.7l Durango. I won't go out on a limb with any quality comparisons but I will say the "feel" is night & day different.

Same HP, but...
More torque
More responsive, "zoomy" (Explorer is surprisingly sedate)
Better brakes
More comfortable
Better AWD (IMO after getting stuck already with identical tires)

I have looked around at other vehicles in the category. I am primarily against Dodge, they make solid drive trains but constantly drop the ball on everything else. I've been in my buddies Dakota and it was 'quick' but it lacked in every other department for me. Didn't feel nice to be in, and constantly had things going wrong with it (Though entirely likely because my buddy is HARD on his toys). That and they are so effin ugly! I'm still contemplating a Fummin's in my truck one day, but that would be the extent.

Can we talk transmissions? What is the problem with them?
Was it a bad build at the factory, to much power, bad choice in engine mate?
Is it a rebuild it and it's good barring act of god it's good? Can you put a heavy duty shift kit in it?
Wheel bearings are wheel bearings, I'll just buy the hub puller and keep it in a drawer and replace them as they go that is a minor thing in the grand scheme.
And I guess I'll just grab every rear end I see in a wrecker and stock pile them as they go. :D

A lot of the Explorer problems can be attributed to weight control for emissions.

Plastic parts and aluminum where steel should be used.

The third gens weigh almost 1000 lbs more than the first gens.

As with most vehicles, the further along in the generation the better. A 2005 will have a lot of the issues ironed out compared to a 2002, which would be considered the least reliable. However, there were changes after 2002 that might not be appealing to you. They went away from a throttle cable and added TPMS, for example...both things that make me prefer my 2002.
Can we talk transmissions? What is the problem with them?
Was it a bad build at the factory, to much power, bad choice in engine mate?
Is it a rebuild it and it's good barring act of god it's good? Can you put a heavy duty shift kit in it?
As stated above, the transmissions have a few intrinsic weaknesses. A re-manufactured unit can be had for ~$1600 from RockAuto that will have addressed all of the known issues and be built to last the lifetime of the vehicle, if that is what it comes to.

Wheel bearings are wheel bearings, I'll just buy the hub puller and keep it in a drawer and replace them as they go that is a minor thing in the grand scheme.
Front wheel bearings are not too bad, but the rears are a royal pain. You will need at least a 20 ton press to get the rear bearings pressed out, and even then you might have to get creative. I do pretty much all of my own work on my vehicles, to include swapping out the transmission on the Mountaineer...but I am happy I paid to get the rear wheel bearings done! That said, use decent bearings and you should be good to go for a long time.

Back