2002 with new ko's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 with new ko's

I just mounted a set of BFG 265/75/16 KO's on my 2002 4x4. Somewhat expensive for a set, but I am very impressed with the look of the truck now. I shopped around and paid 760 for the set of four with all the guarantees. Now the good part, I expected some rub because the tire is about 31.7 inches tall. Most shops tried to recommend a smaller size, but I wanted the largest I could fit stock. From wheel lock to wheel lock there is not rub whatsoever, clears pretty well using the stock rims. So far I haven't heard any strange noises from the transfer case engaging. I was hesitant to mount anything larger than stock due to the problems some have had.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YOU HAVEN'T HEARD ANY RUBBING, IS THAT ON OR OFF ROAD. OFFROAD WOULD PROBOBLY RUB A LITTLE I WOULD THINK.

SWEET RIDE THOUGH. SOUNDS COOL.

Welcome to the site... I hope to see some pictures of this "Beast" ;)

Welcome Aboard!

Man you are in trouble! You already got a set of KOs before you even made your first post. It is all up hill from here (mod wise, financially, the opposite).

Congrats and let us know when you have some pics,

Robb

32" tires on a 2002 4dr I hope you dont plan to take that thing wheeling it wont work.

are you going to get your speedo (and odo with it) recalibrated?

A 2002 with 32s is something new ;)

I would like to personally congratulate you on having some balls. You are the first person I know of to mount larger than stock off-road tires on their 2002.

Welcome to the site!

considering he just mounted a set of 32s and that was his first post, i have a feeling he was aware of this site a long time ago...... hope to see some pics.... that would look sweet.....

I have been visiting this site for about three months now but didn't have a reason to post anything. That is until I read a post here about somebody putting the 265's on a 2002. I didn't think it would fit, but I waited until someone else tried before I did. I wanted the largest size possible with the stock lift w/o serious rub. Honestly it looks great. Haven't had a chance to go off road but it looks like it will be ok for what I do. I like to go to oceano dunes and drive on the beach and camp near the ocean. I wanted more traction because the deep sand is a killer. No serious wheeling like rock climbing or mud pits, (hey, it still has the new car smell). I will leave the speedo alone for now, I'll drive about 6 mph slower on freeway. Just thought I would post in case someone wanted larger tires for their stock 02. I have pics, just don't have where to post them.
By the way I'm correct in thinking that there probably won't ever be a lift for this truck. It has coils front and rear. Body lift is only option I suppose.

Originally posted by tno
I have been visiting this site for about three months now but didn't have a reason to post anything. That is until I read a post here about somebody putting the 265's on a 2002. I didn't think it would fit, but I waited until someone else tried before I did. I wanted the largest size possible with the stock lift w/o serious rub. Honestly it looks great. Haven't had a chance to go off road but it looks like it will be ok for what I do. I like to go to oceano dunes and drive on the beach and camp near the ocean. I wanted more traction because the deep sand is a killer. No serious wheeling like rock climbing or mud pits, (hey, it still has the new car smell). I will leave the speedo alone for now, I'll drive about 6 mph slower on freeway. Just thought I would post in case someone wanted larger tires for their stock 02. I have pics, just don't have where to post them.
By the way I'm correct in thinking that there probably won't ever be a lift for this truck. It has coils front and rear. Body lift is only option I suppose.

That was me, I put (Toyo AT) LT265 75R/16's on My 02 Explorer, and no they don't rub, I drove it over a ditch and lifted the rear tire off the ground and they don't rub. I was surprised as Hell. The Tire shop couldn't stop looking at it. I didn't get BFG's, because I don't plain to off road with it, I have two trucks for that. But Yes, They reall make the new Explorers look a lot tougher. but remember your speedo is off around 5mph at 60

like to see pics with BFG's

With that you think 31.5s will fit? And have you heard of any body lifts for the explorer.

Back