2002 4x4 problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

02 Explorer, Mullinax Ford

Had the same problem, took it to Mullinax Ford here in Ohio. They had the truck for three weeks, couldn't find the problem, finally said it was the modulator, quoted me $190 for part/labor + $100 for diagnostic. No word from them for 4 days, they ordered the wrong part. They got in right part and it wouldn't work. Called in Ford rep, said they would be in touch. 4 days later they called me and said the Ford rep said BOTH modulators needed replaced so they did it. ARE THERE EVEN TWO MODULATORS????? Needless to say, the service lady then told me I owed them $2,200. Can you believe they tried to charge me $2,200 when they quoted me $190?? Going to court over this one it seems!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wash X said:
there is a part number on the module. they can look it up from that
The new Part number for the 4X4 CONTROL MODULE is 1L2Z-7E453-AH. Just picked it up today. Going to install it tomorrow.

tbe2002 said:
The new Part number for the 4X4 CONTROL MODULE is 1L2Z-7E453-AH. Just picked it up today. Going to install it tomorrow.

Did your 4x4 system got fixed after replacing the module?

Yep, everything is working fine now. That part is located right behind the glove box attached to the right side of the Blower assembly with two plugs going into it at the bottom. Took all of about 10 mins to change out.

How much and where did you buy the module?

How the He!! do you get the back bolt to come off? I tried everything but ripping it off and haven't found a tool to get back there to remove it?

If you un screw the screw that is holding the bracket in then the whole peice comes out. There is only one screw holding the bracket in. It is in the front under the bracket. Then the while bracket just pulls out. Then you can un screw both screws that hold the module to the bracket. Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks tbe2002! I was about to tear the whole damn thing out I was so frustrated.

By the way I found the part at www.y2kford.com for $152.18 plus $15 shipping.

If anyone else is looking for the updated 4x4 module, the part # is 1L2Z-7E453-AH.

I will post when I install it and let you all know if it fixes the problem!

You are welcome. Let me know if you need anything else. ;)

I'm having the same problem. Hit the any 4x4 button and I don't even get a light on the dash to come on. Luck may have it a guy I work with is good friends with a Ford tech. He told me that it could be one or two problems. He said to crawl under the car and tap the servo motor with a plastic tipped hammer, as he said sometimes they just get stuck. If that doesn't work then it is probably the module. He says that's a big problem. I will be ordering a new module today, hopefully that will do the trick too.I just bought this explorer two months ago! :fire:

Put in the new 4x4 module about an hour ago and it works fine now. :thumbsup:

I noticed you hear a click when it is going into 4x4 high/low so if you aren't hearing a click from your old module, odds are that is the problem.

We just got 2 inches of snow and I am glad I have my 4x4 back working again!

Best of Luck!

Well I am glad to hear that fixed your problem too. Yeah I did notice that the new one now clicks when it changes to 4x4.

Well, I started this threat many months ago, but I finally decided to installed the new module lastnight. It took about 10 minutes and I now have 4 wheel drive.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

'02 4x4 Failure

I too have a 2002 XLT,V8,4x4 and am experiencing 4WD failure. My symptoms mimic other posts here. Initially the 4x4 would engage arbitrarily,also the yellow 4x4 indicator lights on the left side of the dash will flash at intervals after the vehicle is running. Next,after a short phase of going into 4x4 by itself,I ran the entire cycle of the 4x4 buttons through 4WD auto,to 4x4 Low and all was fine for approx. two weeks (without the necessity of using the 4WD). Now the yellow 4x4 lights on the left side of instrument cluster flash 3 times upon startup and at intervals as long as the vehicle is running and NO 4x4 functionality at all. I was wondering,unless I overlooked it in one of the other posts,but did anyone else have the yellow 4x4 lights flashing during the failure of this module behind the glove box? Thanks for all the great posts here. I too went to the dealer and had a scan for codes done at a cost of $80.00 with no resulting diagnosis (no 4x4 codes present). Then I purchased the switch @ $85.00 and swapped it out wuth no success. I guess I'm hoping it's the module now,and that the dealer will be kind enough to let me return the 4x4 switch. Thanks again and Happy Holidays to all! Regards, Brett (rangeroo22@aol.com)

When I started mine it would only have the yellow 4x4 Low light come on (no flashing just came on then went off). Now that I have the new module installed both the 4x4 high and 4x4 Low lights come on at start up and then go off again. My 4x4 has worked fine since switching modules.

If none of the 4x4 buttons are working then odds are it is your module...but if you read the manual it says that the 4x4 low will flash, when trying to engage, if you are doing something wrong (i.e. not in neutral, not pressing brake)

My suggestion is to try the new module if that doesn't work then you will have to take it to the stealership to see if it is something mechanical.

Hope this helps!

I had the same experience as drakekilla, when I started the explorer and all the dash lights came on, the 4x4 High would not light up. After changing the module the 4x4 High light now lights up for 1 or 2 seconds after startup.

I would see if your light comes on, if not give the module a try. I also got my module from www.y2kford.com, the part arrived quickly and saved me $100.00

It's gettin funkier...

Hi folks,
I pop the hood and check the two 20 amp 4x4 fuses under there and they're both fried(BTW I'd checked these fuses under the hood as well as the 5 amp under the dash numerous times during the failure of the 4x4 happening) I then proceed to Advance Auto parts and pick up a 5 pack of 20 amp fuses and replace the two fried ones in the engine compartment. I proceed to start thine ole Explorer and "WALLA!!!",the 4x4 now seems to be working perfectly!!!! I don't have a clue as to exactly what occured here,and I'm only hopeful that it'll continue to function correctly. In any event,thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll keep you all posted as to how things work out from here.

I just replaced the 4x4 control module that I received quickly from www.y2kford.com and it also worked like a champ.

Many thanks to all those here with their knowledge and suggestions!

Happy Holidays.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi - what mode is the 4X4 auto? Is that 2 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive?

Back