• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

kansaslimited

Reaction score
City, State
kansas city, ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited
I know this has been addressed, but I would like some opinions. My 2002 limited has 4x4 problems. when I first start and drive the car there is no 4 wheel drive. The light wont come on when pushed and the automatic 4x4 does not work (wheels slip on slippery pavement.)

After the car is warmed up the 4x4 will work about 90% of the time. (light comes on when pressed into 4x4 high, and the auto 4x4 works) I have heard the 2002 has a problem with the control module, but I called the Ford parts center and they dont have any info for this part :( Any opinions on the problem, or info on the module (location, part #, ease of replacing, etc) would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, thats so much for any information.
-KansasLimited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 4x4 module is right behind the glove box.It will be marked 4x4 control module.to replace open the glove box and squeeze the sides together until it clears the bumper. Then remove the 3 screws holding the glove box. The 4x4 mod is held on by 2 screws. The front one is easy but the back one you may have to remove the temp sensor.unplug the old one and plug in the new and put it back together and thats it. list price on the mod is 260.00. I got mine at Bob utter ford in texas for 195.00.

It fixed my problem and hopefully it fixes yours

good luck

Btw the guys at the tranny shop wantedto charge me 2hr shop time to replace it. Mama did not raise a sucker

Thanks alot for the reply Wash.

Were you having a similar problem with your 4 wheel drive? If so I am going to give it a try this weekend and avoid paying a dealership to run diag.

Thanks again for the help, it is really appreciated.

mine would go into 4wd by itself. Then I lost it altogether. There was one time it kicked the transfer case into neutral and I ahd to have it towed. I was told by the parts guy that the 02 modules are bad and they has revised them 2-3 times.

IMHO pay the 200 bucks and get it over with. BTW the dealer charged me 105 buck to scan the computer and could not tell me what was wrong.

Don't mean to jump into a thread, but this sounds like my trouble.
My 4 wheel worked in the winter but now it doesn't. How do I now now that it doesn't work during this heat wave in July you ask ? I got stuck 2 miles in on a beach 450 miles from home, on Vacation. Luckily the people at Cape Hatteras are very Helpfull.
Anyway my local Mechanic tested all the leads and everything the book said and it came up dead. He suggested the 4x4 module, but wasn't 100% sure.
I was going to go to the dealer and pay them to test it and then replace the module (suprise the parts dept had a bunch in stock)
If this is the case it looks like I should just replace it instead of another diag fee.
I did have to jump start the vehicle, Do you think that blew it ?
It is a 2002 XLT, V6 explorer

the dealer is going to charge you min 80 bucks to scan it. The module is 200 mail order,260 at the dealer. Most likely it is the module.your mech will probably charge an hour to do it. do it yourself and save some money.

YMMV

Did anyone change theirs due to reading this thread???

Did it fix your problem???

Does anyone know the part number for the 4x4 module?

there is a part number on the module. they can look it up from that

I will be changing the module on my pop's '02 when he's down to visit in two weeks. I'll let you guys know if it helps. :thumbsup:

Also, I've searched and can't find any decent OEM Ford parts suppliers you guys are referring to. I'm all about saving $50 by mail/web ordering the part! Where's the best place to order from?

I got mine from Bob Utter ford in texas.

Well I changed the 4x4 Module on my dad's '02 Expo with the one recommended from Bob Utter Ford. I did verify it had a newer "build date" than the one in the Expo. Unfortunately it didn't solve his problem (4x4 engaging itself after about an hour of driving, clicking/popping during hard low speed turns). What's the next thing to look at? It's already been on a Ford tranny diagnostic and it turned up nothing.

maybe your speed sensors need to be changed. Also did you make sure your shift motor is working properly. I have read hear about them freezing up. I have also read that they sometimes need a "stop" modification. The motor doesnt stop in the right place and the gets stuck in 4x4. Do a search.

Good Luck

$$ for the old Module 1L24-7H473-AG

96EddieB said:
Well I changed the 4x4 Module on my dad's '02 Expo with the one recommended from Bob Utter Ford. I did verify it had a newer "build date" than the one in the Expo. Unfortunately it didn't solve his problem (4x4 engaging itself after about an hour of driving, clicking/popping during hard low speed turns). What's the next thing to look at? It's already been on a Ford tranny diagnostic and it turned up nothing.

Hi EddieB:

I'm gueessing you still have the "old" module if it is part # 1L24-7H473-AG ... if that is the case, would you be interested in some $$$ for it.

My 2002 is having the "nothing happens when you press the 4X4 buttons" problem and I could not find a web source for the part. I have removed the module and it has these markings on it:

Ford Part # 1L24-7H473-AG
Vendor # M799G
Motorla Model # 01MU152B06
Date Code 01215
Derail # 21403808

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Will

Just one more question while we are on the subject...Where is the module located? I understand that it is behind the glovebox, but is it on the right side possibly the one with a Bosch sticker on it, or would it be on the left side with a green sticker on it.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I cant seem to find much info on the subject. Thanks

Hey guys. I don't mean to hijack, but I just bought a 2002 XLT (V6) last weekend with 4WD. I noticed that the only button that turns on a indicator light is the "4X4 Hi" button. The "4X4 Lo" button doesn't cause any indicator lights to come on, and the "4X4 Auto" button turns off the "4X4 Hi" indicator light after it's on, but doesn't turn on any lights itself.

Is this a problem that requires a new module, or is there something else going on that I'm missing?

Thanks!

J

Jamo said:
Hey guys. I don't mean to hijack, but I just bought a 2002 XLT (V6) last weekend with 4WD. I noticed that the only button that turns on a indicator light is the "4X4 Hi" button. The "4X4 Lo" button doesn't cause any indicator lights to come on, and the "4X4 Auto" button turns off the "4X4 Hi" indicator light after it's on, but doesn't turn on any lights itself.

Is this a problem that requires a new module, or is there something else going on that I'm missing?

Thanks!

J

Sounds like it is working normally. To go into 4 lo, you must be in neutral with your foot on the brake, otherwise it won't go. 4 auto doesn't illuminate any lights, as it is essentially what you are always in unless in 4 hi or lo.

Cdaddy78 said:
Sounds like it is working normally. To go into 4 lo, you must be in neutral with your foot on the brake, otherwise it won't go. 4 auto doesn't illuminate any lights, as it is essentially what you are always in unless in 4 hi or lo.

MANY thanks. The truck didn't come with an owner's manual (just got one off eBay - should be here in a week), so I'm having to guess at how many things work. ;)

For "4 Lo", after I go into Neutral and select it, do I then do into "D" or "1" (or some other gear)?

Thanks again!

J

Once you switch to 4 lo you can go into drive, 1st, whatever the hell you want...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cdaddy78 said:
Once you switch to 4 lo you can go into drive, 1st, whatever the hell you want...

Cool. That's good to know. I read an online version of the owner's manual last night, and although it tells you how to shift into/out of 4 LO, it doesn't say what gear to select once you're in it.

Thanks!

J

Back