2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer

jon71203

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB
Hey everybody,
So I've run into the dreaded 2002 Explorer transmission problem. After having it checked out twice it needs a trans rebuild. It still runs, just doesn't like to shift, shifts hard between 2nd and 3rd gear and the O/D light is on. Unfortunately, I neither have the funds to have the tranny rebuilt nor the know how to do it myself. All that said, I'm going to, reluctantly, let her go.

Its a 2002 Eddie Bauer Green Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 automatic
142,800 miles

The Bauer is in great shape, with exception of the tranny of course. All electronics work, A/C, heated seats, pioneer aftermarket stereo with 1/8" plug in, third row seating, power windows/locks, moonroof, leather seats, running boards. Its clean and has been well taken care of.

It has a crack in the plastic of the back hatch and a small tear in the seam of the drivers side seat, other than that she's in great shape.

It looks like these go used on average at about $5500. Kelly lists it between $51-$5600.

I took the car to two different shops to look at the transmission, one shop quoted me $1896 for the rebuild and another quoted me $2300.

I'm hoping to sell her for the difference in the cost of the rebuild and what it would go for without the tranny problem.

That said, I'm thinking $3000 is a decent price for her.

PM me with any questions. I'll get pictures up as soon as I get home from work today.

thanks everybody,
jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Bauer also has 8 month old Destination Firestone tires on it as well as the towing package installed.

If anybody has any suggestions that might help me sell, i'm all ears,
thanks in advance
jon

Any pictures? Rust? Those sorts of things.
I'm not sure if you see lots of salt in your area.

Free bump. :)

Thanks for the bump Dono, Sorry I haven't gotten any pictures up yet, I'll do my best to get some up later today, tomorrow at the latest.

No rust at all. I'm in Indianapolis, so we get a fair amount of salt, but not a lot. Its only been in Indy for about a year, before that it was in Louisville.

Like I mentioned before, aside from the crack in the rear hatch and the seam on the drivers seat, everything is great. (aside from the transmission, which after reading more and more, it sounds like the o/d servo)

My parents are still looking for a new to us vehicle. Could you post some pictures and I'll send them a link to the site and ask them what they think.

I will definitely get pictures up as soon as i'm home from work today, probably 4:30 or 5 here in Indy. thanks
jon

Pictures Added

Here are some pictures, there are more in my public photo album.
thanks
jon

Attachments

• IMG_4039.jpg
    IMG_4039.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5,757
  • IMG_4041.jpg
    IMG_4041.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_4049.jpg
    IMG_4049.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,016