2002 Explorer rear turn signal not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer rear turn signal not working.

Cat123

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer LTD
Hi Guys,
My rear right turn signal quit on my explorer. Front one blinks, but faster than usual and indicator on dash blinks fast so I assumed blown bulb. I changed bulbs on both sides at rear but it still doesn't work. I'm thinking wiring but i'd like to check the ground first. Does anyone know where I would find that? I've searched for wiring diagrams without any luck. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

You can check the ground by just using a multimeter in resistance mode, between the bulb socket ground contact and any unpainted metal on the chassis. Ford usually specs under 5 ohms max. I don't know the physical location, but if you had no other alternative, could just string a new wire from socket to your choice of ground location, make a little hole, clean metal, sheetmetal screw or bolt on.

If it's instead positive power, I'd want to find the fault to eliminate it shorting out later but for the time being could just tap into the left side and make a new wire run to the right side. Same for ground.

I assume you checked the bulb socket for corroded contacts.

You can check the ground by just using a multimeter in resistance mode, between the bulb socket ground contact and any unpainted metal on the chassis. Ford usually specs under 5 ohms max. I don't know the physical location, but if you had no other alternative, could just string a new wire from socket to your choice of ground location, make a little hole, clean metal, sheetmetal screw or bolt on.

If it's instead positive power, I'd want to find the fault to eliminate it shorting out later but for the time being could just tap into the left side and make a new wire run to the right side. Same for ground.

J_C
Thanks for your reply 👍 so far I've just changed bulbs. The bulb holder looks like new no signs of corrosion but I'm going to test before I do anything else. That's an excellent idea to run new lines and would be much easier than trying to trace wires. I'll try these suggestions. Thanks again!

Back