2002 Ford Explorer XLS Dome Light

lmarkie74

Reaction score
City, State
Morganton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Ford Explorer, XLS
Hello,
I am new to the forum and need some assistance in solving a few problems on my 2002 4X4 Ford Explorer I've had for a month. I just started driving it yesterday. The transmission, 5R55W, had a burnt up Over Drive. I really didn't have the money to have a rebuilt transmission installed by anyone some I purchased a ATSG manual and watched a few Youtube videos and rebuilt it myself. Shifting sweet through all 5 gears. Anyone needs help with this transmission, I'd be glad to help.

This was only one of my problems. So far, have replaced the left rear window regulator, right rear caliper, rotor, and brakes. I have a couple more things left to fix and I'd appreciate your help.

The dome light acts really funny. When I first get into the vehicle, the dome light comes on. I start up the engine, back it up, put it into drive and within a few seconds the dome light finally goes out. I drive to my destination, turn the ignition off, open the door and the dome light will not come on. Is this dome light programmed with a module or something?

First things first, but I will need help with troubleshooting the 4 wheel drive. It doesn't work at all. Guess this might be the Control Module or the Shift Motor. Could use some help here on diagnostics and what to start with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this dome light programmed with a module or something?
The front dome light is controlled by a microprocessor in the instrument cluster.
Typical causes include a wonky door switch and/or broken wires in the hinge area of the driver's door.

The front dome light is controlled by a microprocessor in the instrument cluster.
Typical causes include a wonky door switch and/or broken wires in the hinge area of the driver's door.

Tonight I pulled the door panel off. Disconnected the door latch switch plug and used a clip to jump the 2 pins together to simulate the door closed. Inside dome light came on but didn't time out. Stayed on until battery saver kicked in. Unplugged the clip and the light still stayed on. Like I said, the only way to get the dome light to turn off is to put vehicle in drive and it goes out within a few seconds.

I then pulled the boot down the wiring harness between the door in the interior panel. I discovered that the black/yellow wire had 2 cuts about 1" apart through the insulation. Wires were not broke, just insulation cut. I grabbed the bundle and moved it to see if I got a reaction. Nothing. I thoroughly inspected all the wires between this 8" length and also pulled lightly on each end to see if their were breaks. Nothing again. Of course, there can be a break inside the insulation.

You mentioned the dome light is controlled my a microprocessor in the instrument cluster. I did notice that not all indicators light up when you turn the key in the ignition. Don't have, 4x4 high indicator, ABS indicator, Outside Temperature and Compass, Air Bag, Brake, Door Ajar, Check Fuel Cap, OD Off, and most important-Service Engine Soon. I'm pretty sure all the indicators are suppose to light up for a few seconds and then go out. Could this be the real problem?

Yes. The Instrument Cluster Microprocessor is in charge of turning on the dash indicator lights. (Wiring book, page 60-1 to 60-4) I am sorely frustrated with mine keeping the dome light always on and too cheap to replace the whole instrument cluster for a dome light.:mad: It seems you have enough problems to consider a new instrument cluster. Either you have a load of broken subsystems:eek: or you have a bad instrument cluster microprocessor.:(

It is your job to do enough measurements to decide whether I am correct.;)

Forgive the ignorance, but what are you talking about "(Wiring book, page 60-1 to 60-4)? I'm pretty picky about what I have has to all work. I don't let things defeat me. I did notice on ebay, that instrument clusters are abundant and reprogramming the cluster is available. Leads me to believe that this bad cluster thing is very common with Explorers.

So you have a dome light problem also?

I guess, the next step in my plans will to get a wiring schematic, study it, and test and measure wiring. Once I get started studying maybe I'll know where to start.

I love a challenge.

Wiring Book: Wiring Diagrams published by the Ford Motor Company for Explorer and Mountaineer.

You mentioned the dome light is controlled my a microprocessor in the instrument cluster. I did notice that not all indicators light up when you turn the key in the ignition. Don't have, 4x4 high indicator, ABS indicator, Outside Temperature and Compass, Air Bag, Brake, Door Ajar, Check Fuel Cap, OD Off, and most important-Service Engine Soon. I'm pretty sure all the indicators are suppose to light up for a few seconds and then go out. Could this be the real problem?

they are supposed to light when you turn the ignition to the on position (not start) if they all don't then you have to concentrate on this area first. If the door ajar message or door chime works then you can easily check which door is busted with the car running (opening a door will trigger the door ajar and chime, the one that doesn't is the culprit)

Back