Do you puddle lights come on with your dome light? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you puddle lights come on with your dome light?

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
Ive been thinking of adding extra lighting under the truck to accentuate the puddle light feature when the truck is unlocked with the remote.

however Ive realized that even when you turn on the dome light from inside, the puddle lights come on.

I thought, this must happen because the truck is not moving, so I experimented and went for a drive up to 50 mph... turned on the dome light and still the puddle lights come on.

I thought this would look funny if I had extra lighting and turned on the dome light while driving...

Anyone else notice that???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you need lights under the truck? In case you lose something?

Why do you need lights under the truck? In case you lose something?
Same could be said for puddle lights.. why do you need them:D
I was thinking to install strips of LEDs under the running boards to really light up the ground as the puddle lights are not that great at that.

But thought it would look funny while driving on those times you turn on the dome lights while in motion

Same could be said for puddle lights.. why do you need them:D

Well...(sputter)...to see the PUDDLES! Duh!;)

But you're right; extra lights coming on with the dome light would look funny. Might attract a LEO or two also. Some places it's illegal.

I think that my puddle lights don't come on if the truck is running and I open the door. I don't know about if I'm rolling down the highway and I put the dome lights on. I'm going out right now and will check it out and report back later tonight.

They really should be called Zombie lights, because with the increase of Zombie sightings and confrontations, especially in France- these things are really going to start crawling out from under vehicles in large numbers.

Hey- everyone be careful at the mall this holiday season, ok?

:D

Excellent point Joe!!! I'm gonna start looking for some zombie lights now, I've seen a few bodies crawling out from under cars, but they're usually parked near the pub. I think I'll be right if they're chasing brains tho';)

I usually only see them when parked outside the Old Navy store. They seem to congregate there.

I flash my puddle lights though and they scatter like ****a roaches.

Curtis, I just confirmed that the puddle lights do not come on with the engine running. It doesn't matter if you open the door or turn on the dome lights with the switch, if the engine is running they do not come on.

Around here the zombies are usually behind the wheel. Send out the zombie hunters :troops:

I'm serious guys- this s**t is serious. We've dealt with this before...

CLICK ME

In all seriouness Curtis- they're not going to come on with the dome lights if the engine is on. :)

I'm serious guys- this s**t is serious. We've dealt with this before...

CLICK ME

In all seriouness Curtis- they're not going to come on with the dome lights if the engine is on. :)

Better call the ZAPV boys then!

Who you gonna call?

Now everyone does a funky dance!

I'm considering rhinolining my truck. a LOT less waxing... :D

For a minute there I thought "truck" was your pet name for something else, and less waxing, well ...you'll get cold down there in winter. Rhino lining could be a bit extreme but it did work for someone's hootus:D

Did this change in a certain model year?
Like I mentioned in my first post, I went for a drive to test this in my 04.
Engine running - in park - dome light on = puddle lights on.
Engine running - in drive - 50 mph - dome light on = puddle lights on.

We're talking about your '04, right? Not the '96?

I'll try mine today on the way to work and see if it does the same.

We're talking about your '04, right? Not the '96?

I'll try mine today on the way to work and see if it does the same.

Yip the 04.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know on my '03 they did not come on with the dome light switch... Dunno... :dunno:

Back