2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd low works, but not 4 high | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd low works, but not 4 high

RydersDad

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all! New to the boards. Sorry if Im in the wrong spot!

About a week ago, I changed the fan switch on my 2002 Explorer. In getting my hand in there I had to unplug the push button 4x4 switch. After I got everything all hooked back up, I turned the rig on and my 4x4 high light was blinking on the dash. I figured it must still be loose so I checked it and it was snug. My 4wd low works. I push the button, takes a second and engages. Nothing on 4 high. The light blinks at you intermittently. Im stuck....:thumbdwn:

Hi all! New to the boards. Sorry if Im in the wrong spot!

About a week ago, I changed the fan switch on my 2002 Explorer. In getting my hand in there I had to unplug the push button 4x4 switch. After I got everything all hooked back up, I turned the rig on and my 4x4 high light was blinking on the dash. I figured it must still be loose so I checked it and it was snug. My 4wd low works. I push the button, takes a second and engages. Nothing on 4 high. The light blinks at you intermittently. Im stuck....:thumbdwn:

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

When my 4x4 lights were flashing it turned out to be a bad ground on the transfer case. Worth looking into.

Good luck getting it sorted!! :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Mines still flashing intermitantly after 6 years (4x4 high) Still got low tho, Yay :D

Check for any wires that may be shorting, some mice got under me hood and had a good feed but once I electrical taped up the gnaw holes in the wire insulation it worked for awhile.....Til the old door wires broke, bloody doh. I tried the extra earth on the transfere case but had no success.

On the up side, she does great burn outs now I dont have to worry about 4x4 auto kicking in....Sort of like she did her own brown wire mod :D

G'day Ron!!!!

Back