2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0 Add on Remote start options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0 Add on Remote start options

jrdefran

Reaction score
City, State
Hammonton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0
Hello, I am looking to buy and install an add on remote start that uses the factory key fob. I am looking to do this myself and cheap.

What is the simplest and most cost effective install?

What brand is best and what additional parts do i need?

Thank You

Hey dude, first welcome to the site. I suggest you do a search and as well the12volt.com is a great reference for wiring codes. You will have to bypass PATS FYI, and lastly double posting is a no-no here. The mods will come down on you for that.

I have installed Autostart mainly and they are a good product. That's what the company that I worked for sold.

Do some research then ask away. They really aren't hard if you understand automotive wiring. If you do not, this is not really a great first project.

Solder your joints, do not use quick connects etc. I have seem them get very hot and melt, burn etc.

Good luck!

Thank you for the heads up, I wanted to delete the other message but haven't yet figured out how.

I am capable of installing the remote starter, I just dont know what is the best route to go. I just want to have the remote start , no alarm.. I looked into Code-alarms, Crime stopper and bull dog add on systems, but am unsure what exactly i need to do the install, like pats...

Hey jrdefran,

I've installed remote starts on my 99 Mounty, my wife's Sable and my E350 van. It's pretty straight forward. The only thing you need to be concerned with is PATS. That's not a big deal either, you just need a by pass module. I've used Ready Remote, Bull Dog, and Directed Electronics(DEI) systems. For ease of install I think it would be Bull Dog and Ready Remote. Features goes to DEI. If you have any questions let me know. I'm not too far from you, right outside Hammonton.

Back