2002 sport trac transmission problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 sport trac transmission problem

leegaddis32

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac
last night when I left work the transmission just disengaged twice it has happened once before when I left work and stepped hard on the gas it disengaged then to and I had to come to a complete stop for it to engage. no lights flashing no cel . any ideas before it gets worse. yes the fluid is fine checked it after I got home from work. thanks in advance

Had mine rebuild last month. The overdrive assembly was fused together. They tried to press it apart with no success. Complete overhaul was $1800. Took about a week.
Dave P.

How is your shift lever? Lots of slop or nice and tight? Mine had a ton of slop and I have been teaching my daughter to drive. On a couple of occasions she did not have it shifted all the way into D and the tranny started to disengage.

This weekend I opened up the steering column to put in new shift lever bushings, and one of the brackets that holds the shift lever was broken.

Hopefully you get lucky and it is a shifter problem versus a tranny problem.

If you know anyone with an obd scanner - like a real computer that tells you voltages for different parts of the vehicle - see if you can borrow it and drive around with it hooked up and check the voltages to the shift solenoids. The valve bodies on sport tracs are notorious for failing which causes solenoid failure. I took mine to a transmission shop which offered free diagnostics and they said I'd need a full transmission rebuild for $2200. I did a little more research - did what I mentioned with the scanner and found out it was only the valve body gasket - went ahead and replaced the whole assembly for around $200 myself - probably could've just changed the gasket and one of the solenoids for $50 but didn't wanna mess with draining the transmission in my driveway more than once. Truck shifts perfectly now.

Back