2002 XLS Rear Differential Leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLS Rear Differential Leaking

macro

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
The rear differential (or something in that area) on 2002 XLS is leaking.

There seems to be a correlation between the distance it is driven in a given trip and the amount of fluid that is dripped. The normal daily drive of about 15 miles one-way will usually bring a small amount of fluid, maybe the size of a quarter, from each side of the bottom of the differential. Saturday we took it 45 miles from home, and when we returned, the size of the puddles was 3"-4" in diameter. This is probably not as much fluid as it seems, because the garage floor is painted with hard epoxy, so the thin fluid can spread easily. Once the dripping for a given trip has ended, it will not drip any more as long as the car is not driven.

Took it to mechanic eight days ago, and he said the two seals where the axle connects to the diff should be replaced. He did that and it continued to leak last week. I cleaned it off and let it leak again, and about the only thing I observed was that the area around the connecting point of the axle to the diff was moist on both sides with fluid. Thinking that maybe the seals needed some time to set (hopeful thinking), I monitored it until the end of last week. Still dripped. I took it back yesterday and he double-checked the seal installation, and said everything looked correct. He used OEM parts. Also checked the breather tube and it's not obstructed. He offered no other solutions other than to repair or replace the differential.

Would it be foolish to just monitor the fluid level to avoid having to replace the diff? Is there any solution to the problem that would be less expensive? What is causing it to leak if it's not the seals and not the breather tube?

Back