• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential Breather

bigA

Reaction score
City, State
Valrico, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
I guess when it rains, it pours. Just finished up the camshaft position sensor and noticed a new spot on the garage floor. I'm getting alot of differential fluid coming out of the breather tube. Enough to cover most of my shock absorber, some of the spare tire, and then drip down to the floor. The rear seals were replaced some months ago, but haven't noticed any overflow until now. Weather is a little cooler now, but I don't think that's the cause. Didn't find anything in search. Any ideas why I'm getting so much fluid out the breather tube?

BigA, first I'd look to see if the diff is overfilled. If the oil level is OK, then remove the vent hose and check it for obstructions. If it's kinked or has debris inside, pressure can build up in the diff and then 'burp' out of the hose.

If everything checks OK, then I'd replace the vent hose with a longer one, and route the curve higher. You might also change the location of the open end, since the airflow underneath the vehicle may be suctioning the oil out somehow.....?

Did you get the Cam PS trouble sorted out OK?

ROE

Ended up putting the old sensor back in and no more check engine light. It wasn't throwing a code before, just that the synchronizer was sqealing. Thought it was cheap insurance to go ahead and replace the sensor while I was in there.

I'll pull the hose off tonight and check it out. I already checked the level and it seems fine. No fluid ran out when I opened up the fill plug. Thanks for all the help.

Back