• Register Today It's free!

2003 4.0 XLT exploder lockers?

McFudden

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Elsinore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, Explorer xlt
Okay, so I bought an exploder awhile ago and have had quite the frikken adventure with it, (engine number 2 for me, and it’s on its second complete transmission for its life). It honestly seems like Ford has intentionally made this thing hard to work on, but I digress. I bought it for the 3rd row seating and the independent rear suspension. I figured it would give it a better ride. Of course ford insisting on putting the stupid rear axles THROUGH the frame dashed any dreams of lifting it. I’ve managed to squeeze 32s on it so I got it off the ground a little. I also let my elderly mother drive this around when I’m not home to take her to various doctor appointments. I’ve got a reinforced brush guard so if she does get hit she’ll be safe. Who she hits, well that’s another story. On the weekends I like to play with this thing “softroading”. I call it this because with no lift I’m never taking it on the rubicon trail, but I can play around a little in the dirt and sand. I’ve thought about putting lockers on it. Hell if even go for manual lockers. I’m not so lazy I can’t get out and turn the hubs. Here’s my question. Is it even worth it with this AWD? Hell... is it even possible?!? The 30/70 split is cool and all, but sometimes you want a tire to spin rather than the AWD redirecting the torque to another tire. Am I wasting my time?

Okay, so I bought an exploder awhile ago and have had quite the frikken adventure with it, (engine number 2 for me, and it’s on its second complete transmission for its life). It honestly seems like Ford has intentionally made this thing hard to work on, but I digress. I bought it for the 3rd row seating and the independent rear suspension. I figured it would give it a better ride. Of course ford insisting on putting the stupid rear axles THROUGH the frame dashed any dreams of lifting it. I’ve managed to squeeze 32s on it so I got it off the ground a little. I also let my elderly mother drive this around when I’m not home to take her to various doctor appointments. I’ve got a reinforced brush guard so if she does get hit she’ll be safe. Who she hits, well that’s another story. On the weekends I like to play with this thing “softroading”. I call it this because with no lift I’m never taking it on the rubicon trail, but I can play around a little in the dirt and sand. I’ve thought about putting lockers on it. Hell if even go for manual lockers. I’m not so lazy I can’t get out and turn the hubs. Here’s my question. Is it even worth it with this AWD? Hell... is it even possible?!? The 30/70 split is cool and all, but sometimes you want a tire to spin rather than the AWD redirecting the torque to another tire. Am I wasting my time?
You can lift it. I have 33's with no tire rub. Remove struts and put spacers on them. 2" is easy to get. Also very easy DIY.

Back