2003 cobra vs explorer 1/4 mile | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 cobra vs explorer 1/4 mile

ok what i want to know is hpw much rwhp do i need to beat a 2003 cobra with the 390 hp? what about the older cobra's? i have the typical 4 door v8 right now but this would be after i built the engine of course. i know there is a calculation for the weight of my vehicle to horsepower ratio to get it to such and such 1/4 mile time. and then all i need is the 1/4 mile time by the cobra. any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you put the air filter and exhaust from a ford festiva on a viper and then upgraded to a top of the line filter and exhaust it would barely make 45 rwhp. (well thats a little extreme, but you get the point) who has made that kind of gains on the mustang?

btw- i hope thats true, but i just can't believe it

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by expo5.0
if you put the air filter and exhaust from a ford festiva on a viper and then upgraded to a top of the line filter and exhaust it would barely make 45 rwhp. (well thats a little extreme, but you get the point) who has made that kind of gains on the mustang?

btw- i hope thats true, but i just can't believe it
I have the dyno from MM&FF on their 03' Cobra. Just by removing the silencer/filter and added the lightning pully they pick up 59rwhp and 83 lbs-ft. of rwtq.
Baselined at 381.3rwhp and 374.8rwtq
After filter and pulley:
441.2rwhp and 458.4rwtq.
These numbers are what basically everyone with an 03' are baselining at and picking up with those 2 mods, actually some of them are picking up 20rwhp from the silencer removal but most are in the 15rwhp range, MM&FF picked up 13rwhp removing theirs. And the guys on stangnet, corral have scanned up their DYNO's to prove the #'s. Look somewhere on the 1st page of this thread and you'll see what my friend dynoed at with his 03' Cobra and some mods.

03 cobras are under estimated by ford... they say 390 at the crank but some are putting down 375 at the rear and with minimum mods are laying down 500rwhp......

I have run my buddys 96 mystic cobra a few times and walk away til around 100.... the cobras have no torque and dont build hp til high RPMS..... His cobra is basically stock besides long tubes, magna flow exhaust, k&n, and a chip......

I really need to get a tranny..... it slips big time right now. Maybe next month I am going to get my tranny build along with a custom stall converter..... then i want to run him with his new 4.10 gears

hey PUR PONY...
what front end is that on your stang? i really like it. im looking for something like that for mine and dont want just the regular stalker front end...

Originally posted by PUR PONY
03 cobras are under estimated by ford... they say 390 at the crank but some are putting down 375 at the rear and with minimum mods are laying down 500rwhp......

I have run my buddys 96 mystic cobra a few times and walk away til around 100.... the cobras have no torque and dont build hp til high RPMS..... His cobra is basically stock besides long tubes, magna flow exhaust, k&n, and a chip......

I really need to get a tranny..... it slips big time right now. Maybe next month I am going to get my tranny build along with a custom stall converter..... then i want to run him with his new 4.10 gears
Ford definitley under-rated the 03' Cobras to play it safe after the 99's didn't make the extra power, all of them are are basically putting down 375-385rwhp. That would mean they are in the neighborhood of 425hp at the flywheel. And your right, just doing the normal mods everyone does to a Mustang ; chip, exhaust, headers ect. ect. they are slamming down around 500rwhp with just bolt ons. My friend ordered his 4.10's for the 03' and with the mods he has on it, that car is going hook hard as hell and fly!:cool:

mikeresin - its a custom fiberglass peice made by sanja performance... its a copy of an sn-95 (94-98) mustang made for the fox.... I have the whole kit... front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts.....

I didnt like the side skirts though and went with the saleens......

I am not sure if this company is still even in business.... eevryone that tried to contact them have had no lucka nd they also took their website done-

the car has no motor right now... in the process of building a stroked 351.... 408cu in ... right now I am installing a full Maximum motorsports suspension system and mini tubbing it....

later

sounds like it will be a bad ass stang... good luck:)

For all that dont know last time I went to the track I went 11.65 @ 87 mph. That is a pretty good time considering I let off the accelerator at the 1/8 mile. If you figure out my 1/8 mile then it translates to an 10.98 @ 125. That is pretty good except I DID NOT SPRAY MY TRUCK ON THAT PASS! When I spray my truck it will go 10.80's. So all those 03 cobra's can bring it. I will soon be doing some more mods to go even faster. The only reason I went 13.00 at Bradenton was I spun tire for the entire 1/4 mile with drag radials on. With slicks I have no such problems. Since I weight 4600 lbs if I loose to an Cobra I dont feel bad but if he looses to me then he lost to a jaked up station wagon. HA HA HA HA!

they flattened out the rims on the 03's to compromise with the people that like the 99-00 rims but don't like the 2001-2002 rims. And as for the next lightning coming after the 03, it won't be coming untill 2005. And it will include a twin screw whipple supercharger making at least 500 horses. Since the lightning will weigh a lot less than the srt-10 look for the lightning to be the fastest truck in the world again in 05.

I heard that also about the new Lightning, it will be sick, I don't think the SRT-10 will cache on and be as cool as the Lightning, probably have hard time selling it compared to lightning which fly off the lots right when they get in. They are also still having big traction problems in the SRT-10 even with 20" rims, what do you expect when you take a pickup and throw in the viper engine in a vehicle with no weight in the back and isn't as well built as a Ford!;)

Troll - when are you going to be allowed back at Morrosso?? You were banned for a year, right? Guess they didn't appreciate an Explorer putting the whupping on everyone!:D

the srt-10 although a great idea is still on the drawing board no matter what dodge says. They've changed what it will look like, cost, color schemes and what have you so many times it makes my head spin. But hey what better than to have a v10 in a truck with a 6 speed in it! Too bad it will cost around 50 grand! For that money you can get a lightning into the 10's......Oh well, I guess it's back to the drawing board for dodge again!

i love it when i am right

heheh i thought troll had those times. i have been paying pretty close attention to his explorer being that i want to basically model mine after his. well horsepower-wise anyways. all i got to say is that if one person can smoke an 03 so can i with enough money and time. i am surprised that there are so many people that are doubtfull out there. bill has already proven with troll that he can murder an 03 mustangs times and horsepower, and with an explorer that really doesnt weight that tooooooo much more. though the weight diff does count but it is closer than with a corvette. either way i will just have to take the abuse for now till i get my times from the 1/4 mile when i am done with it. or at least when i think it is good enough to run it in the 1/4. and of course with the 1/4 i will dyno it too. thanks for defending both of us bill "troll" i knew i hadnt read your post in your threads wrong. man these next two months are gonna draaaaag by. holidays always do.

all i know is that i would be the happiest person in the world if i say a video of an X vs a Corvette/Cobra at the tracks adn the X winning. I could just show eveyrone i ever met that X's are better than their corvettes. lol. Troll, X-box, or Rocket (when ur ready), burn a corvette or cobra for me!!! i wanan see it!!! i still watch the troll video like its my job

if and when i do it i will post it for sure. as far as troll in my eyes he has already far surpassed that status. it would be like me racing a go cart. there is no real challenge as i think there would be no real challenge between troll and a 2003 cobra. none at all, even with his old setup. let alone with is new setup and with slicks? heeheheheheheh he would plain smoke them off the track.

some go carts can go 0-60 in about 3-4 seconds :)

Originally posted by psychotic
some go carts can go 0-60 in about 3-4 seconds :)
psychotic's right, those race carts haul some little ass:) They will go well above 120mph, but you can be damn sure I don't want to be in one if it flips at that or any other speed, can you say "No Protection":D

go carts

it is cool if i actually raced a go cart i would just go into the next lane and run his little ass over anyways......hey i just thought of something. i see the similarities in racing a go cart and a little riced out civic. either way i would just run em over :D in fact go carts are probably a little faster than a civic so i would have more of a challenge there than from a civic. hehehe.

man i bet that would be a rush though. going 120 mph in a go cart. i feel like i am going pretty fast when i do that in my buddies stang. i bet it would feel like 500 mph in a little cart so low to the ground. let alone that you are going soooo fast and are soo low that you couldnt see what is in front of you for that far. i still would like to try one out. ;)

I know, I've seen videos of them racing and their sick. The look like a little nascar when tearin up the track, plus, that little but very powerful engine of theirs will put any ricer to shame when it comes to the sound:D . Samething as you, I've been in a friends cart that went a little over 60mph (it was an off-road type of cart but without a roll-cage)
and when your around 10-13yrs old thats haulin that close to the ground. I can't even imagine what it's like going 120mph less than an inch off the ground, but if it flips, your in for 1 hell of a ride thats gonna hurt like hell:p

My brothers, brother in law races the shifter carts. His runs an RM 125 motor. He said they go well over 100mph but on most tracks they gear them for around 80. He also said they are glued to the road. A local guy builds big dirt track racers that look somewhat like a Honda Pilot. I rode one with a 580 Arctic cat motor. I made it halfway around the track before I juiced it and it flew into the weeds. :p

Back