2003 Eddie Bauer - V8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Eddie Bauer - V8?

AC75

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Just looking...
Did the 03 Explorer EB come with a V8 or was the V6 available as well? I'm going to look at one later in the week but the person I spoke to on the phone didn't know if it was a V8 or a V6...

Anyway, the truck has 155,000 miles on it and looks to be in great condition from the photos I was sent. If it's the V8, how reliable is that engine and transmission? I have heard some negative things about these trucks, but it seems it's often the V6 setup...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both. If it's the V8, it'll have a badge saying so on the right rear of the back hatch.

My EB is a V8. Look on the tailgate for the V8 symbol. The 4.6 if properly maintained is a durable engine, trans from what I herd there are more problems with the full time AWD and not the part time 4x4 Explorer. I know mine the shifting is lazy between gears but I understand that is for a smoother shift.

2002 EB reliability

I have a 2002 EB. Explorer with 258000 mile on it with the 4.0 AWD still runs like the day i picked it up. The only thing that has been done is the transmission was replaced at Certified Transmission at the 198000 miles and all four wheel bearings and that's it. Now i do a oil change every 4 to 5 thousand miles with Mobil1 full synthetic from the third oil change from new and i have never had not even one engine problem still runs strong no oil leeks and it gets 16 mpg in town and 18 highway. :navajo:

When I purchased my 02 EB in 05 I was also looking at a 03 Limited. My transmission shop advised me to go with the EB for the difference in transmissions. I have the 4.6 and have had no issues with lots of heavy trailer towing.

When I purchased my 02 EB in 05 I was also looking at a 03 Limited. My transmission shop advised me to go with the EB for the difference in transmissions. I have the 4.6 and have had no issues with lots of heavy trailer towing.

Does the EB specifically have something different about the transmission, something that makes it more robust, or did you just mean the differences between the V6 & V8 transmissions... which I'm assuming are different being stuck to a different engine anyway?

At the time I was looking at a 2002 EB and a 2003 Limited. I was told that the Limited has a different transmission as it is AWD like a Mountaineer and much more costly to repair. I believe that all others including the EB are called 4WD and has the dash switches. Someone else correct me if I am wrong. My mechanic at the time said that the transmissions in the EB model and lower were a Jaguar transmission as Ford owned Jaguar at the time. This could be all baloney for all I know.

Whatever you do, I'd pay to have a shop take a peek at the front and rear diff and to drop the tranny tray to examine what's in the filter. It'll cost you a few hundred bucks but it could also save you many thousands of dollars in major repairs and rebuilds.

Run like hell if they so much as whimper about the condition of any of those components as you'll pay through the nose like I just did to have them rebuilt -- possibly even a month or two after purchase -- they're ticking time bombs. The rear diffs on Explorers are notorious for vibrations and ultimately failure. The transmissions are hit and miss, some will run forever, others crap out at 130k like mine did despite my lax driving style and only using the Explorer for road trips/weekend getaways and not as a daily driver in stop-and-go traffic.

I would also pull the coils off the plugs and examine the boots. If they're gunked up with oil that's an indicator of trouble and a big sign to stay away.

Honestly, knowing what I know now about these trucks I don't think I would ever pick one up in the 2002-2005 years with more than 75k miles unless it was given to me for free. I absolutely love my Explorer and considering the work I've put into it I will never sell it and will keep it until it literally breaks apart, but would I do this all over again and put so much money into rebuilding major components? Not a chance, but spending the money that I did was still cheaper than buying another vehicle with who knows how many problems.

Just my 0.02.

At the time I was looking at a 2002 EB and a 2003 Limited. I was told that the Limited has a different transmission as it is AWD like a Mountaineer and much more costly to repair. I believe that all others including the EB are called 4WD and has the dash switches. Someone else correct me if I am wrong. My mechanic at the time said that the transmissions in the EB model and lower were a Jaguar transmission as Ford owned Jaguar at the time. This could be all baloney for all I know.

True about the Jags. My tranny in my Ltd 4.6 (5R55S) is the same tranny used in some Jags, it's an AWD model but I also have the 4H/4L switches on the dash which forces 4x4.

Funny thing is the shop that I had my tranny rebuilt in had just days prior rebuilt the same tranny but in a Jag.

they are the same transmission 5R55W/S/N (lincoln ls and jaguars s-type too) and have the same issues (servo bores and solenoid pack)
there are differences in the transfer cases, the mounty v8 usually have AWD and the explorers are mostly 4x4. Most of the issues with the driveline is neglect from owners maintaining proper tire wear (with auto 4x4 and awd the tires must be even)

Turns out it's the V6 engine. The truck is in good condition with 156,000 miles. Needs a windshield. Guy wants $1500. Not sure ...

Turns out it's the V6 engine. The truck is in good condition with 156,000 miles. Needs a windshield. Guy wants $1500. Not sure ...

That's on the cheap side, what's wrong with it?

You sure?

I'm smelling a rat at $1,500. What's its scrap value? Offer $100 below it, so if it turns out to be a dud at least you'll make $100 for your trouble ;)

You sure?

I'm smelling a rat at $1,500. What's its scrap value? Offer $100 below it, so if it turns out to be a dud at least you'll make $100 for your trouble ;)

I'm sure there would probably be something else when it came time to have it inspected, but there isn't anything obviously wrong. I think I'd buy it aside from that feeling it's at the perfect mileage for the transmission to drop out. I know it's a gamble with any used truck, but you know, sometimes you just sense trouble...

Back