2003 ford explorer sport trac 2wd 4.0 v6 to v8 swap??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 ford explorer sport trac 2wd 4.0 v6 to v8 swap???

I have a 03 ford explorer sport trac 2wd with the 4.0 v6.. im planning on making a prerunner.

I want to know if im better off keeping the 4.0 v6 and adding some performance parts or swap a v8..

If I was to swap what would be my best bet? 4.6l or 5.0l?? What Automatic Transmission? ?

I know its pretty indepth and im gonna have a shop do it but I wanna be educated before I make the dive.

If anyone has links that will help i would appreciate any kind of help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure your spoart trac is built like a 2nd generation explorer under the hood, so a v8 from a 98-01 explorer will do. I think you will find power adders to be more common to the pushrod v8.

You will need the whole donor truck for a successful trouble free swap.

Ok cool thanks.
How about the smog issue for California. Is adding the older engine an issue?

Ok cool thanks.
How about the smog issue for California. Is adding the older engine an issue?

Man, I don't know for sure. I am in Kansas where you don't even have to have a bumper.:D

Haha
well thanks

Turdle is correct. everything 5.0L wise will bolt, and fit under the hood....
BUT the big difference is in the electrical. there was what was called a job 1 and job 2 sport track. job 1, everything from a 99-01 v8 explorer drivetrain, and electrical will swap right in. job 2, there was tons of electrical changes made (what, i am not sure). thats where the hard part would be. if it was a job one, you would be able to swap the PATS parts and ignition in and be done with it, but job 2 wont.
also if your going to take it to a shop, be prepared to be facing a labor bill the size of texas

I might just stick with the 4.0. It would be nice to have a v8 but it seems like a huge pain and a lot of cash.

Will the 4.6l bolt up to my transmission? Or do I have to swap that out also?

Will the 4.6l bolt up to my transmission? Or do I have to swap that out also?

Yes, you will have to swap the transmission. But for a 4.6 swap tht is the least of your worries. If the 5.0 swap seems like a "hill", a 4.6 swap will be a mountain.

Back