2003 V6 EB, 'check engine oil temp' | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 V6 EB, 'check engine oil temp'

mitch748

Reaction score
City, State
calgary, alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 V6 Eddie Bauer 4x4
I have a 2003 V6 EB 4x4, when warming up for the first time each day, after about 5 mins i get a beep and a red light on the dash and the display reads 'check engine oil temp' as this happens the temp guage maxes out for about 20 secs and then instantly returns to its usual centre position. I'm usually going up a rather long steep hill by this point. Just as it happens the motor seems rough as hell, and then its perfect afterwards. There is no movement on the oil pressure guage and everything else seems normal. It seems to be using a little antifreeze, prob about a pint every 1000kms. Oil level is good and no signs of emulsification in the oil. Anyone have any ideas?

first thing is to try and find out what the temp really is. It could be overheating or it could be a sensor and think it is. When it overheats (either way) it should go into FMEM mode which will kill half the cylinders.
It very rare, but a bad oil filter, low oil, wrong oil etc could cause it.
Or just a bad sensor, but you really have to make sure it not having a 'real' problem.

Back