• Register Today It's free!

2003 with factory sub & RES

Melon

Reaction score
City, State
Blair, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT 5.0
So what's the trick to make it all work? The factory radio with factory sub sounds fine to me, but the changer is jammed. And with the handful of factory indash changers I've seen, none of them seem to work very well after some age. I'd rather go with a decent Kenwood or Alpine stereo - $150 or less - with bluetooth and I can stream my music that way. The next hurdle is keeping the RES. I haven't seen any thread that confirms it actually worked, whether a harness adapter or hard wire it in.

Is there an aftermarket DVD option that fits in the stock location? Do I need to not be a cheap ass and spend $300-400 for a radio? Or can I spend 200 on a radio and maybe 200 on a DVD system that will go in the stock location?

I used a bluetooth to FM transmitter in my 2002 for years with no issues. It let me stream music from my phone and the quality was as good as a signal from a strong FM stereo station. I used this one because it has an on/off switch that is convenient due to the 12V power socket always receiving power. Even when the ignition is off. This keeps it from draining the battery over time and gives the ability to turn it off without removing it from the socket. For $30 it can't be beat, IMO.

It's like you're inside my head - I had been thinking about looking for a good FM transmitter and save the headache. Sadly, the one in your link is out of stock. But it gives me a good place to start looking for one.

Amazon has them. I went through 2-3 of them before settling on this one. The on/off switch is very convenient as it kept me from having to remove it from the socket to turn it off. This might not seem like a hassle but it is and I was afraid that continually removing and inserting it into the power socket would cause a malfunction with the socket over time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PPGOC0/?tag=serious-20

Back