• Register Today It's free!

2003 xlt door lock insanity

angler3

Reaction score
City, State
monroe,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer xlt
this forum has saved me a dozen times so hear i go again looking for some help. 2003 ford explorer xlt four door... key fob locks and unlocks all doors. passenger side and hatch switch does the same... driver's side locks but does not unlock anything. took off master switches and grounded the lock ( pink wire ) and it locks. grounded the other pink and nada! I'm guessing it should've unlocked , clearing a possible faulty switch issue..I'm thinking there might be a break in the wire? any good ideas on how to check this without tearing apart all the wires by the boot or any other ideas on where to go next would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

If all else fails, here is a link for troubleshooting the power lock system. It's for the 2002, but should help you out: http://www.scribd.com/doc/14896076/2002-Explorer-Power-Locks-System-Diagnosis

Good luck. :thumbsup:

thanks big rondo.. i think one of the pink wires might be spliced.. i disconnected the switch, grounded the tester and when i put the tester on the pink/yellow, it locked ( i guess i completed the circuit ) . when i put it on the pink/light green , it didn't ( didn't complete the circuit ). So i think the ground is good, but there might be a break in the pink/light green, from the door to the central security module. I have the chilton diagram, its just tough for me to make sense out of it. But i do believe the problem lies in the hot wire. Might try to put a multi meter to check continuity , but i believe i have to disconnect battery first. Thanks for the link and suggestion.

Agree with Rondo, the most likely place for a wiring problem is in the area between a door (or hatch) and vehicle body. This is one of the few places where wires are moved, which is very stressful on wires over time.

Besides looking within the boot itself, you will also want to look at the first few inches of wire on either side of the boot, basically any place the wires may contact/rub when the door is opened and closed.

You're on the right path with a schematic and test meter. On the bright side, yours sounds like a consistent failure. The intermittent ones can be a real pain to find.

You could probably get away with pulling the fuse if you don't want to disconnect the battery.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks mikeinri, by any chance would you know which fuse to pull? I have the original owner's manual and it doesnt say which one is for the power locks, neither does the chiltons manual

sorry for the late update, the pink pulled right out between the door and body. luckily i was able to rejoin them. good as new. Now i have cold air coming in through the glove box. ive read that the fresh air door might be stuck. makes sense too me cause i used to hear a clicking when going from hot to cold air behind the switches. i hear the door and hinges were made of flimsy plastic causing it too wear.Love the truck, but it keeps me buisy!

sorry for the late update, the pink pulled right out between the door and body. luckily i was able to rejoin them. good as new. Now i have cold air coming in through the glove box. ive read that the fresh air door might be stuck. makes sense too me cause i used to hear a clicking when going from hot to cold air behind the switches. i hear the door and hinges were made of flimsy plastic causing it too wear.Love the truck, but it keeps me buisy!

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

The cold air in the glove box does sound like a broken fresh/recirc air door. There are several good threads about this issue.

The clicking noise when changing temperature is most likely a faulty blend door actuator: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140

Good luck. :):thumbsup:

thanks rondo, i read the one for the actuator, waiting for a nice day to tackle....but i cant find one for the fresh air/recirc door fix.would you happen to know the link?

thanks rondo, i read the one for the actuator, waiting for a nice day to tackle....but i cant find one for the fresh air/recirc door fix.would you happen to know the link?

I'll do some research and post some links for you. This is something I have to address as well.

Door lock issue

I'll do some research and post some links for you. This is something I have to address as well.

Hi
I have had the door apart and fixed the broken wires to solve the lights and horn going off in the middle of the night last year.

However lately when I lock the doors with the key fob the horn beeps once if the doors are all closed and i can hear the doors lock however I can then pull the handle of either of the two front doors and they open and the alarm goes off.
Not sure what's happening but the two front doors do not lock. Any ideas?

Back