rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Have a chance to buy a 2004 F250 with 5.4 motor. But what I've read about the spark plug problem makes me wonder. Read that prior to 2003 the plugs did not have enough threads and then after that the redesigned plug with the longer reach got stuck and broke off. Should I just stay clear of this truck all together?
Or have the owner or some shop pull some plugs to see what happens?
I don't want to pull myself and then have a plug break off while he still owns it.

Ask for service history on the plugs. The more often they are changed, the better. If you are going to pull the plugs there are several tips to minimize the chance of breakage.

For the long plugs that extend deep into the heads, sometimes a Seafoam treatment through the intake while running can help break up any crud on the underside of the plug. For all plug types, you can shoot penetrating oil into the plug well and let it soak down the threads to help them break free safely. I've had good luck with this, using PB "Penetrating Blaster" oil. Warming up the motor a bit may help.

The 5.4 is not a bad motor in those trucks, but is a little underpowered for what the truck needs. The 2-valve version is a pretty simple and reliable motor. The 3-valve version with variable cam timing adds the complexity of cam phasers, which are a failure point, especially with irregular oil changes and incorrect weight oil. It does add some much needed horsepower though. Not sure if 2004 had the 3-valve or 2-valve motor. The 5.4's resale value is less than that of the diesel and V10 trucks, but it is slightly easier to work on. That said, it is still not fun. I owned a 2006 model with the 5.4. Many of the motor repairs on these trucks (with any motor option) are designed to happen with the entire cab and front clip lifted up off of the truck, leaving the motor sitting on the bare chassis. This is not hard to do, but requires a lift.

Back