2004 Limited 6 disc in dash changer and MP3s? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Limited 6 disc in dash changer and MP3s?

PC Rob

Reaction score
City, State
Elyria, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
I just picked up my new Explorer Limited last night. The sales guys said the factory HU would play my MP3 discs. I think they were full of it unless I am doing something wrong. Here is my info:

- 2004 Explorer Limited.
- 290 "Audiophile" system with the in dash CD6 changer.
- Factory amp and sub.

I am trying to play my MP3 cd-r discs and it just displays "CD-Rom" and ejects them. I am assuming it does not play MP3s and the sales guy was wrong, or is it the way I burned the MP3 disc? I have played these discs in two different JVC MP3 head units, both my DVD players at home, and the xbox, and they work fine.

I have a new JVC Arsenal HU to put in the Explorer (my wife wanted it for her car but too bad if I need it now), but I would like to know if the factory player is supposed to work or not. The factory unit does NOT say MP3 anywhere on the face.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds to me like they said whatever it took to make the sale or maybe the salesmen wasnt sure and didnt double check for you.

Yes, I am sure he was, although it was not the big selling point since I already have a nice HU to put in there. It was just a bummer to find out it didn't work (more for my wife than me since she wants the JVC HU.)

Anyone else with this factory unit know if it will play MP3s in any way?

Thanks,

Rob

PC Rob,

I have a 2004 Explorer XLT w/Sport pkg. that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I have the same audio system. I have not tried to play any MP3 CDs, but was wondering if you (or anyone) know if there is an auxillary input in the back of the unit, i.e. either 1/8" stereo plug or stereo RCA plugs. This would allow plugging in an MP3 player. I have the Dell Digital Jukebox and right now, I'm using an FM transmitter to play the unit through the system, which is kind of a pain. There is "AUX" under the CD button on the unit, so I'm thinking there may be some inputs on the back. I called Ford 2 days ago and haven't heard back.

Thanks

Mikea,

I pulled the head unit out last night to see what kind of wiring harness I need for my JVC MP3 head unit. I do not remember seeing any auxilary inputs that would work for your needs. There is a factory plug (several pins) that I believe is used for a FACTORY changer (I believe Ford makes an MP3 changer) or the Sat. Radio function. Other than that, there is nothing that I remember, sorry.

By the way, I had a portable MP3 player in my 2002 Explorer that I ran through the factory tape deck. It was a pain to say the least. I then got the in dash JVC MP3 HU, and I can't even express how much better it was. It has a nice display that shows BOTH the artist and the song on separate lines plus the time and some graphics. Not to mention the sound quality difference with a 7 band EQ. Best $250 I ever spent. That is what I am putting in the 2004 this weekend. I just had to order the wiring harnes from Crutchfield. It allows me to continue using the factory speakers, amp and sub with the JVC HU.

In case you are interested the harness is the Metra 70-5517, and the JVC is the Arsenal 3150 unit.

Good luck,

Rob

When i bought my 2002 ranger they said the same thing and i thought they were full of it until i tried it. mine worked but i'm pretty sure the person who owned it befor me put in the 6 disc changer. but it looked stock

he probably thought you meant burned cds... thats just a guess but an uneducated salesman might think that =)

I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer with the AM/FM; 6 Disc in dash changer & Sirius Satellite unit. I guess I do not understand what you mean by MP3 CD's. Are you talking about MP3 players? I have played CD-R's in my factory unit with no problems. Ford also has a unit which is MP3 Player capable.

I've had my 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer now for 2 weeks. I also have the audiophile system.

I'm 99% sure it does not play MP3 CDs. They do advertise that it will play CDs that you burnt with your computer. Maybe that's what the guy was thinking?

Thanks for all your replies regarding the MP3 player question.

Hey Rob:

I also had a 2002 Explorer and played my Dell DJ (portable MP3 player) through the tape deck with the cassette adaptor - a pain, but it worked. But, with the 2004, I don't have a tape deck. I'm using a transmitter to play the portable MP3 player through the HU, which works, but is a bigger pain than the cassette adaptor. Rob: do you have the same factory stereo in your 2004 as I do? - Audiophile 290 watt, 7 speakers, 6 disc in-dash changer? If so, you swapped it out for the JVC?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks again everyone for the replies.

The answer to the initial question is NO the 6 disc in dash does NOT play MP3s. For those of you who are not familiar with MP3s, they are super compressed audio files that are stored in an .mp3 on the disc. You can fit 140 to 170 songs on one normal CD-R disc if the MP3s are ripped at about 128kbps. Basically it is "near" CD quality sound at a fraction of the space on the CD. The Head Unit (HU) has to be capable of reading these file types, and mine is not. The salesmen (2 of them) assured me SEVERAL times that it would, but yes they were really thinking of just a regular CD-R or audio CD that was burned from a computer in CDA (CD Audio) format like any other off the shelf CD. I know I should have just tried it myself, but I wasn't that concerned deep down because I really wanted to use the JVC anyway.

To Mikea, yes I have the same 290 watt audiophile system, and I have already replaced the stock HU with my JVC, and the difference is night and day. It sounds a 100 times better, and the JVC makes better use of the sub. BE AWARE, no one, and I mean no one has released the proper factory wiring harnes adapter for the 2004 premium sounds system yet. Crutchfield said they had it, but it was not even close, it was really for the 2002-2003 models (I had a 2002 prior to this one). I had to get half the harness from Circuit City. This is the half that is a long white connector that supplied the power, and all the main speakers. The other half you can not find anywhere. It goes to the amp and sub. I had to use a spare RCA connector and some extra wire to splice into it to provide a remote turn o nsignal to the amp, then signal to the sub. I did NOT cut the factory plug, just spliced in behind it. It took some testing to figure out which wire went where, but it works now, and I have complete control over how much the JVC outputs to the amp and sub since it is wired through the pre-outs on the JCV HU. Let me know if you or anyone else needs any detailed info on how I did this, and I will email it to you.

Sorry for the long post, but I haven't been on in a couple of days, and I wanted to respond to everyone.

Good luck.

Rob

Mp3

just to update you all, I was in the ford dealer the other day, and they are coming out with an Audiophile HU that will play MP3's on discs you burn off your computer in late '05 models. Actually, I'm kinda pissed that they thought of this AFTER I spent $$,$$$ on my '04! But at least I know that Ford does listen to customer feedback.

Suprising. The F-150s have an MP3 player, the Focuses have an MP3 player. When I say player, I mean the cd player will play MP3s. Weird that it won't. Normally if it does it will say on the front of it.

yeah i remember my dads 02 ranger could play CD-RW... i think it played mp3 formatted cd's, it was a single disc in dash player

Regional options?

I wonder if certain options are only available in certain areas of the country. I see the link to mp3 players unabonk posted, and they sure look stock. But I was just at Ford the other day with my wife, getting her an '05 escape with the Mach 300 stereo, and they didn't have any idea about mp3 players. I asked several salesmen there. The brochures they had said it would be available in late '05 models.

Back