• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Brake Question

jmreynol01

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4WD V6
My 2006 Explorer started vibrating when I applied the brakes at about 40K which I have assumed was caused by warped rotors. I now have 60k and this thing really shakes if you hit the brakes on a long trip at 70mph. I took the truck to the dealer and they said that all four rotors are warped so of course they suggested they do the work. They have been reliable in the past but they want $750 dollars for parts and labor (pads and rotors). I would like to do the work myself and upgrade to a set of rotors that may hold up better. I have been looking at EBC, Raysbestos, Powerslot and Centric rotors. My question is: Is there anything I need to be prepared for if I order a drilled and slotted rotor ? I don't want to buy these and then find that I need a special shim or new caliper bracket.

Thanks in advance
JMR:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing special will be required, nothing added on or anything like that.
Do the work yourself and save the 1/2 of that cash for yourself. Its rather easy and wont take a whole lot of time.
Anytime you can keep your truck away from the stealership, you will save a ton of cash.

Not only do the work yourself, and there are lots of rotors and pads you can use, but check and make sure the calipers are working properly first. I had the same thing on my '06, and assumed it was the rotors. I started replacing rotors and pads, and when I got to the last wheel, I noticed one of the caliper slide pins was seized, which was causing the pulsating/shuddering when braking, not warped rotors. If I would have checked this first, I could have gone another 30k miles on my existing rotors and pads, there was nothing wrong with them.

Update on 2006 Explorer Brakes

I pulled a wheel of the front end and put a dial on the rotor It ran out about .001" but the rotor looks glazed and has some pretty big ridges. The other side is about the same. I did not check the run out on the back rotors but they are smooth and don't seem to be in bad shape. All the pads are down to about .187" - .250" so I know I have to change them. I suspect, as a previous poster stated, that I may have a seized pin some where but I won't know until I pull the calipers so I might as well just order all the rotors and pads and deal with the caliper when I pull them. Now my big decision is what to buy. I am thinking of going to slotted rotors and pads by Raybestos since it is still cheaper than ford. Any recommendations ??

In my experience, and from what I've read on this site, the quality of the rotors is not as important as the pads. I usually buy the Napa rotors and ceramic formulation pads, and have never had a problem. Some on this site recommend Power Slot rotors and Hawk pads, but I don't know if they're available for an '06 yet.

Back