2006 Explorer Limited Trailer Hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Limited Trailer Hitch

medic2465

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited V8
I have an '06 Limited that has a 1 1/4" Class II hitch on it (I assume it came from factory as I am second owner) I am wanting to get a small 5'x8' trailer, or maybe a hitch haul, to use for some trips. Do you guys think that the 1 1/4" Class II hitch that is on it is sufficient, or should I bear the expense of getting a 2" Class III installed? I'll most likely never have more than 1,000 lbs on the trailer. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an '06 Limited that has a 1 1/4" Class II hitch on it (I assume it came from factory as I am second owner) I am wanting to get a small 5'x8' trailer, or maybe a hitch haul, to use for some trips. Do you guys think that the 1 1/4" Class II hitch that is on it is sufficient, or should I bear the expense of getting a 2" Class III installed? I'll most likely never have more than 1,000 lbs on the trailer. :D

The original hitch is enough - based on what you are saying.

I thought it probably was, but wanted to check. I've never used anything but a Class III and thought this 1 1/4" looks really small. Thanks! :)

You have the Class 2 package, which is good for 3500lbs max (350 lbs tongue weight).
You should not have a problem finding a 1¼" class 2 drawbar for a utility trailer.
Not sure about the load carriers. You may find that they only come in the 2" variety, in which case you would need an adaptor. Just be sure the adaptor is rated for 350lbs TW, and you don't load the carrier higher than 350 lbs.

I have found a Reese 1 1/4" bar and 2" ball, no problem there...I was just wondering if it'd handle an ATV ok on a 5'x8' or so trailer, probably about 1,500lbs trailer and all. I have no idea what the tongue weight would be on that though.

Also looking at a Hitch Haul too since they're only about $60.00 at Walmart, that might do what I need it to do if I don't have to take ATV anywhere.

Yes, these should be fine. Just be sure the loaded trailer (plus anything you put in the truck) does not add up to more than 3500 lbs.

i tow a 6x10 utility trailer no problem, even when it is loaded and i have the 1 1/4 hitch

Back