2007 EB Evap Solenoid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 EB Evap Solenoid

jeeden

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
So on our 2007 EB 4wd we got a check engine light that later cleared itself. Then a gas cap light and to rule it out I got a OEM gas cap and put it on with no change.

Got it into the dealer and they said Evap solenoid was the problem. Of course it was off warranty so they got $98 for the diagnostic and want an additional $400 for the replacement (said that new solenoid was $140 and rest labor). Told them to wait and clear the code. A couple of days later the gas cap light came back, then cleared itself for 3 days and now check engine is back.

The questions are:

- Does it sound like it's working intermittently to you? Could it be ice or something jamming the solenoid, we have had lots of very cold weather and snow lately.

- Can I swap this out? I'm very mechanical ,but don't have 2 days to tear the truck apart, I got like 2 hours. I don't see much info on the net about later model explorers. Do I have to drop the tank to get to it? I hear some are above the spare tire.

- Is $140 correct? Should I go to after market at advance?

- Any idea where I can get instructions on this? Does a Haynes manual have this in it?

Thanks all for the help.

So on our 2007 EB 4wd we got a check engine light that later cleared itself. Then a gas cap light and to rule it out I got a OEM gas cap and put it on with no change.

Got it into the dealer and they said Evap solenoid was the problem. Of course it was off warranty so they got $98 for the diagnostic and want an additional $400 for the replacement (said that new solenoid was $140 and rest labor). Told them to wait and clear the code. A couple of days later the gas cap light came back, then cleared itself for 3 days and now check engine is back.

The questions are:

- Does it sound like it's working intermittently to you? Could it be ice or something jamming the solenoid, we have had lots of very cold weather and snow lately.

- Can I swap this out? I'm very mechanical ,but don't have 2 days to tear the truck apart, I got like 2 hours. I don't see much info on the net about later model explorers. Do I have to drop the tank to get to it? I hear some are above the spare tire.

- Is $140 correct? Should I go to after market at advance?

- Any idea where I can get instructions on this? Does a Haynes manual have this in it?

Thanks all for the help.

I had an 06 where the EVAP canister went out...I couldnt fill the tank up with gas more than a gallon at a tiem without it clicking off.

I did get a check engine light...cant remember the code I read...but in the end I had to drop the gas tank and put a new canister in...not too too hard of a job..but mine lasted 1,000 miles before filling up with gas again and clogging up...

I have had 2 cars of mine do it to me. Luckily they were under warrenty.

Back