2007 Mountaineer Transmission problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Mountaineer Transmission problems

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
My daughter's boyfriend's '07 Mountaineer started acting up yesterday. First of all, what does it have? It's a V8 AWD, which trans is it? I tried to check the fluid, but couldn't find the dipstick. How is one supposed to check the fluid?

They told me it was shifting hard and when you came to a stop it felt like someone bumped you from behind. I thought maybe it was a u-joint, but after searching here it sounds more like this problem.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199183

Later it stopped shifting all together so they brought it out here and borrowed my Explorer. I took it for a test drive this morning and at first it shifted fine. I stopped at the first stop sign and after that it refused to shift again. It still goes into reverse, but D-3-2-1 are all the same. Any ideas what this could be? I'm thinking maybe the valves or solenoids in the valve body are sticking. It has 114K miles on it which isn't a lot IMO. Is this common?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem with my 07, same drive train. Theres a tsb fix for it, I had it done at a ford dealership, its a computer reflash.

I had the same problem with my 07, same drive train. Theres a tsb fix for it, I had it done at a ford dealership, its a computer reflash.

Did you have the problem with the bump from the rear or did yours not shift? The thread I posted in my original post mentions the bump from the rear problem, but at least through the first 8 pages no one is reporting a failure to shift.

Did you have the problem with the bump from the rear or did yours not shift? The thread I posted in my original post mentions the bump from the rear problem, but at least through the first 8 pages no one is reporting a failure to shift.

Yes. 2 to 1 downshift at 10 or less mph was very rough, felt like being rear ended. Looked up tsbs and it was a simple reflash.

Back