2009 Explorer XLT 4.0L TPS wiring colors or diagram | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009 Explorer XLT 4.0L TPS wiring colors or diagram

SouthernSky

Reaction score
City, State
Deville Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT 4.0L
I ordered an electrical diagrams book but it won't be here for a week and I need a diagram yesterday. (Wife's car has this issue so she took my truck).

Does anyone have an electrical diagram and can tell me the colors of the 4 wires from the TPS sensor to ... I think the PCM?

The existing TPS sensor connector is aftermarket and all the wires are green.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Enjoy
1657888357509576740657455735463.jpg

Ah-hah! So that's it! That's perfect. That means where the old wires are burnt behind the engine (apparently common and should have been a recall item) I can run new wires directly from the TPS connector, NOT go behind the engine again, and splice in at those points on the PCM. Whew! That's a relief!

Thank you so much, Bazz270! I owe you one! Shalom!

1657890819047.png

So I'm feeling pretty good about it now. I'm leaving a follow-up in case someone else has the issue. Being that 2006-2010 explorer main wiring harness commands a premium price if you can even them used, I found a better way. What I did was simply build a new TPS-PCM harness. It would be seriously stupid to try to repair the burnt wires in back of the engine (the first thing I tried...).

Using the wiring diagram I saw that there were no stray connections, just four direct connects from the TPS connector to the PCM.

I bought a WPT-1293 pigtail connector to plug into the TP sensor on the throttle body. And a few feet of 16 gauge wire and connectors. And I had to get cloth wiring harness tape from NAPA since the other major chains didn't sell it and some of the black plastic flexible conduit found on harnesses. The pigtail sensor ends were not long enough to reach the PCM connector so I soldered in some of the 16 gauge to lengthen it, then used waterproof connectors and heat shrink tubing to create a new harness. I also marked each wire on both end with it's function and color (TP1 is brown, TP2 is green/violet, ECTREF is yellow and ECTRET is blue/orange). After making the harness itself, I tested both ends for continuity and all was well.

Then I narrowed down the four wires in the big PCM cable and separated then from everything else. I connected my new TPS harness to the correct colored wire, soldered it and heat-shrunk it. Then I tested everything from the PCM connector to TPS connector end for continuity before reconnecting everything and doing a final harness wrap with the cloth tape.

When I routed my harness, I moved it away from the original location where the heat would not affect the wires again, then zip-tied it all up. And finally, after watching FordTechMakuloco's (I love that guy!) YouTube video on how to reset the PCM properly, I followed his guidance as well as the proper way to road test after resetting the PCM. I then drove it for about 15 miles with slow and fast starts, then put my ODBC-II tester on it one more time and confirmed no codes and my repair was good.

Now I feel comfortable giving it back to my wife. And taking my truck back.

So I'm feeling pretty good about it now. I'm leaving a follow-up in case someone else has the issue. Being that 2006-2010 explorer main wiring harness commands a premium price if you can even them used, I found a better way. What I did was simply build a new TPS-PCM harness. It would be seriously stupid to try to repair the burnt wires in back of the engine (the first thing I tried...).

Using the wiring diagram I saw that there were no stray connections, just four direct connects from the TPS connector to the PCM.

I bought a WPT-1293 pigtail connector to plug into the TP sensor on the throttle body. And a few feet of 16 gauge wire and connectors. And I had to get cloth wiring harness tape from NAPA since the other major chains didn't sell it and some of the black plastic flexible conduit found on harnesses. The pigtail sensor ends were not long enough to reach the PCM connector so I soldered in some of the 16 gauge to lengthen it, then used waterproof connectors and heat shrink tubing to create a new harness. I also marked each wire on both end with it's function and color (TP1 is brown, TP2 is green/violet, ECTREF is yellow and ECTRET is blue/orange). After making the harness itself, I tested both ends for continuity and all was well.

Then I narrowed down the four wires in the big PCM cable and separated then from everything else. I connected my new TPS harness to the correct colored wire, soldered it and heat-shrunk it. Then I tested everything from the PCM connector to TPS connector end for continuity before reconnecting everything and doing a final harness wrap with the cloth tape.

When I routed my harness, I moved it away from the original location where the heat would not affect the wires again, then zip-tied it all up. And finally, after watching FordTechMakuloco's (I love that guy!) YouTube video on how to reset the PCM properly, I followed his guidance as well as the proper way to road test after resetting the PCM. I then drove it for about 15 miles with slow and fast starts, then put my ODBC-II tester on it one more time and confirmed no codes and my repair was good.

Now I feel comfortable giving it back to my wife. And taking my truck back.
Proud of you. I have same problem.. 😭
But I dont understand that diagram..
Could tou pls take a video or pic of these TPS wires coming out from the PCM? It would really help to see wich wires from PCM are there TPS wires so I could modify straight wires to the TPS.
🙏🙏🙏🙏

My wife has the vehicle today but I can probably come up with something. Give me a few.
Great. Will wait then 🙏.
Checked wiring in front, seems to be normal, but behind the the engine don’t want to track the wires. Also throttle body is new.. Must be bad wiring, according to the error codes that I got.

60C2D6B3-3AEB-46B2-AFC7-029667B30C10.jpeg

My wife has the vehicle today but I can probably come up with something. Give me a few.
See if this helps. Disregard the pencil markings as those were my voltage readings (BEFORE pic).

TPS Connection 4 - TP1 - Brown - to PCM 61 (Brown)
TPS Connection 3 - ETCRET - Blue/Orange to PCM 59
TPS Connection 2 - ETCREF - Yellow to PCM 66
TPS Connection 1 - TP2 - Green/Violet to PCM 61

I think there were only four wires on that row on the PCM and the colors were as expected. I removed the harness wrap about 12 inches or so, then spliced in about 4" or so from the back of the PCM.

Let me know if you still need pics of how I did it but I don't think you will. If I could figure it out, anyone could. :)

explorer 4-0 TPS connector.jpg
pcm tps.JPG

Great. Will wait then 🙏.
Checked wiring in front, seems to be normal, but behind the the engine don’t want to track the wires. Also throttle body is new.. Must be bad wiring, according to the error codes that I got.

View attachment 431872

The one you have disconnected here is the top one. The bottom connector is the big one for the TPS connections. But pulling the top, bottom and the wide connector to the left will give you enough slack to work on the wires.

See if this helps. Disregard the pencil markings as those were my voltage readings (BEFORE pic).

I think there were only four wires on that row on the PCM and the colors were as expected. I removed the harness wrap about 12 inches or so, then spliced in about 4" or so from the back of the PCM.

Let me know if you still need pics of how I did it but I don't think you will. If I could figure it out, anyone could. :)

View attachment 431870View attachment 431871
This is good. Got it.👌🤘🏼

Could someone tell where this TAC connector two wires are going to?

81EBAE0F-AA6D-4E75-A576-C23982412578.jpeg

Got damn it!
I bought new throttle body, new crankshaft sensor, made straight wiring from the PCM to the throttle body. Did relearn method.
Vehicle worked for 2 days and on third day (today) it gave yellow wrench and shows only p2104.
I don't know what to do anymore got damnd it..
Spark plugs and coils also replaced last summer.
I'm about to die...

REF 2009 EXP EB. My TPS is on the rear/firewall side of the Throttles Body, p/n 6L2Z989D. It is identified as "Throttle Positioning Sensor Potentiometer Engine".The OEM FORD pigtail repair kit for this TPS connector on the rear side is WPT1293 p/n 3U2Z14S411UC. It is famous for having all the insulation cracking and falling off the 4 wires and exposing bare wire! It comes with all GREEN wires (4 total). The part circled in red in this string is located on front side of my Throttle Body. Per the online OEM Ford Parts catalogue by VIN, it is NOT identified as a TPS. There is confusion as to the nomenclature of this part. It looks like an IAC. Per latest CHILTON manual, 2004 and later models DO NOT have an IAC. Instead, they incorporate an electronically controlled throttle! They refer you to chapter 4 where that devoice is called a TAC (throttle actuator control.)

View attachment 431870View attachment 431871
I have 2009 EXP EB with 4.0L V6 potentiometer engine. My TPS connector is exactly like the one in your pics down to the exact same colored wires. In a search for how to test this TPS with a multimeter, I found one that stated with KEY ON, and with connector installed, to back probe between 2 specific colored wires! Connect red lead to grey/white (wiper) and black lead to grey/red (return to PCM) not a ground. The voltage with throttle closed should be 1.0 (+/- .2) vdc. The voltage at wide open throttle should be 4.0 min to 4.8 max vdc. When slowly moving the throttle from closed to wide open, readings should be steady and smooth with no drop outs. The problem is, the colors of the wires are for a different model EXPLORER TPS than ours!. Does anyone know if this same test can applied to our configuration AND red to which pin and black to which pin AND do same voltages apply? In other words, how to test out TPS with multi meter! THANKS!

Back