$201.44 Gibson catback 19686, 19684 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$201.44 Gibson catback 19686, 19684

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 19686 is now $380.69 :scratch:

be sure to post pics of it when they are installed we love to see how it looks

Not sure if it will be a next spring project. I would like to spray mutiple coats of high temp paint to help it last longer.

Well, here are some uninstalled pics.

GOOD:
Price

BAD:
Ordered 11-27-08, received package 12-10-08.
Called customer service once with no answer.
Took 3 days to respond to my email asking where it is.
Called customer service, with them not sure why I could not see my order status online.
Received notice 12-09-08 1:52AM that my order shipped.
Item was crossdocked.

gibson3.jpg

gibson1.jpg

Is this a bolt on install or this needs to be welded on?

DAMN, the price is down to $181.30 for the 19686 model...

I am going to contact 4WheelParts for the refund of the difference, since they guarantee their price for 30 days :D

Hehe, nice rollercoater ride on that price.

But 4WP has that reputation -- great price but not so good on customer service and timely order completition.

I have the Gibson too and love it, my brother got his from ebay but I wanted a valid warranty(the winter salt here destroys metal) so I got it here. gibson 19686, or you can try one of the vendors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great system and very easy to install and for the price you give it a look.

I have the Gibson too and love it, my brother got his from ebay but I wanted a valid warranty(the winter salt here destroys metal) so I got it here. gibson 19684, or you can try one of the vendors here on the forum, they are allways having sales/specials. Either way its a great system and very easy to install and for the price you give it a look.
:salute:
:thumbsup:

Excellent! It only took you about 1.5 years. lol

How's the sound? Any noticable difference in MPG or power?

Sounds good. Nice mild rumble at idle and at lower speeds. Not loud when you stomp the gas. Not noticing a drone yet, but I have not been on a far distance, or been over 65MPH yet. Not loud at 65 either.

Not sure on MPG.

Not sure on power. I think I need to unhook the battery overnight to "feel" a difference.

Well, after a couple 75+ cruises on the interstate, no drone. Sound level is no worse than the OEM I took off. Even when you accelerate at that speed, still not much difference.

There is a weird vibration in/on the floor under the driver while doing 80-85. Not sure if this has anything to do with the exhaust. Not noticeable all the time. Only noticed it once out of four trips on the interstate.

Replaced my rear axle damper with a new KYB SS10201 unit. Noticed a nice dent in the topside of the old OEM unit from the exhaust pipe. I don't think there is any damage to the pipe besides cosmetic. Unsure if the exhaust needs adjustment, or if there is any adjustment possible. Might check in the spring when temps are warmer.

Just a heads up for people considering this particular kit...

Bumping OLD thread. What is the correct fitment for a 02 Sport? I see the 19684 & 19688. My stock is a single in & single out setup. The 19688 is 01 only it says(can't imagine why) & the 00 lists both as fitting.

Well, I was replacing the rear axle damper, and looked at some corrosion around the band clamp near the back axle. Looked closer, and could see light through a crack in the pipe. Time to see what options I have for full replacement, or if I'll just replace part of the exhaust pipe. I don't know if the different materials of the clamp and pipe caused the issue though.

Exhaust was a bit louder than usual for the last few days, so I took a look underneath. I did band-aid the above mentioned crack with another Torca TorcTite EasySeal band clamp at some point.

Today, the crack went almost all the way around the pipe. Corroded enough that I just unhooked the two rear exhaust hangers, and twisted enough to fully bust it off. Top of pipe is thin with a crack going along the top edge. I re-used the Torca TorcTite EasySeal band-aid band clamp to join the rusted pieces together.

I do think the mix of aluminized pipe and stainless band clamps caused the corrosion issue. No where along the whole system is anything close. There was similar corrosion by the Gibson stainless tip.

Time to consider getting a shop to fab up a repair chunk, getting them to fab up a whole catback, or buying a complete catback...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back