• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer XLT (My Way)

KeepRidinDirty

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey thought I'd post some progress pics of my 2011 Explorer XLT. Still a work in progress but I think it's coming along nicely.

Frontal Shot - Painted the Grille gloss black, didn't like the silver and chrome. I hate chrome and this vehicle had plenty of it. Also opted for Black ford badges from eBay (got this idea from someone on this forum) the blue ones looked off with the back grille. Also got the interceptor hood badge, could have got the explorer one but wanted something that stood out a little more. I also had the headlights tinted slightly. I have a push/bull bar from GoRhino on order it should be here by next week.

20140706_152905_zps34ffd6ef.jpg

Side View - Like I said I hate chrome so I painted the handles gloss black to match the grille. I like them better but they leave fingerprints like crazy. I plan on getting the front windows tinted to match the rears.

20140706_152850_zps34c70d64.jpg

Wheels - I got some American Racing wheels, really wanted the sport wheels but they are impossible to find in Canada and are insanely expensive from the dealer so I got these from Tire Rack. I also needed new brakes so I bought the Big Brake Kit from Levittownford.com and painted the callipers with G2 calliper epoxy. Stops alot better than the old ones.

20140625_093230_zps56ba6203.jpg

Rear - Not much to the rear other than.....yes I hate chrome and I painted the explorer piece on the back in black, added the black Ford logo again. I also tinted the tails because I like the way the sport tail lights look.

20140706_152836_zps0dcef06b.jpg

More Pics for Fun

20140706_152824_zpscca4d2d5.jpg

20140706_152813_zps91b30ec5.jpg

Open to Comments and Suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those pics look straight out of the brochure! Nice Explorer. Wheels look great!

Looks awesome! I like those wheels even better than the sport wheels! Nice choice. The red calipers look great too!

Looks good! I like it!

Welcome to the Forum KeepRidinDirty.:wavey:
Very nice job.:thumbsup: I think the wheels look great, they really caught my attention when looking at the first picture. I don't get into the city that much but your Ex will be easy to spot if I ever see it around town.:biggthump

Peter

I almost bought those AR wheels for my black xlt, glad to finally see them on an explorer. Looks great, I'll trade you my sport wheels for those ;) I think they look better.

I almost bought those AR wheels for my black xlt, glad to finally see them on an explorer. Looks great, I'll trade you my sport wheels for those ;) I think they look better.

Hah for the price of shipping wheels from LA to Canada and back you could probably just buy the wheels outright from Tirerack. UPS wanted an extra 600$ to ship to Canada so I took a 40 min drive, crossed the border and picked them up in Upstate NY.

Impressive work so far! Man, your pics look beautiful and the you couldn't pick a better spot to photograph.

Great choice on the wheels! I like the contrast and it fits well with your ride.

I'd suggest painting the roof racks and side door molding/trims black as well. Other than that, you look like a few mods away from being done.

I thought about the Intercepter hood badge as well. Still debating it. Is your badge raised/beveled or is it a decal? Where did you get it?

Impressive work so far! Man, your pics look beautiful and the you couldn't pick a better spot to photograph.

Great choice on the wheels! I like the contrast and it fits well with your ride.

I'd suggest painting the roof racks and side door molding/trims black as well. Other than that, you look like a few mods away from being done.

I thought about the Intercepter hood badge as well. Still debating it. Is your badge raised/beveled or is it a decal? Where did you get it?

I though about both the roof rack and the side mouldings but the wife says I'm being obsessive. She wants to leave the trim on the doors so something matches the wheels and the roof rack would look cool but I put ski/snowboard racks on in the winter so it might mess up the paint. I got the interceptor badge for levittownford.com. They have a bunch of accessories priced pretty good. Its a raised emblem. Only complaint is its hard to wax.

Well, can't argue with the wife; though you can tell her she's just as obsessive as you in wanting the trims to match the wheels LOL. I painted my roof racks and no scuffs, scratches, or chips. You can opt to buy the OEM roof racks for the 2015 model year as those come already in black (if I'm not mistaken). Levittownford definitely has good prices on the things they sell, and a decent collection for those leaning towards Intercepter mods. I'd be tempted to switch the letters around to spell out something different. Let's check the anagram calculator: INTERCEPTOR... hmmm E-R-E-C-T-I-O-N... pass. C-R-E-E-P... pass. I think I'll stick with Interceptor LOL.

Well, can't argue with the wife; though you can tell her she's just as obsessive as you in wanting the trims to match the wheels LOL. I painted my roof racks and no scuffs, scratches, or chips. You can opt to buy the OEM roof racks for the 2015 model year as those come already in black (if I'm not mistaken). Levittownford definitely has good prices on the things they sell, and a decent collection for those leaning towards Intercepter mods. I'd be tempted to switch the letters around to spell out something different. Let's check the anagram calculator: INTERCEPTOR... hmmm E-R-E-C-T-I-O-N... pass. C-R-E-E-P... pass. I think I'll stick with Interceptor LOL.

Hah. The only problem with having a white explorer with interceptor on the hood is people do the speed limit when they see you, which sucks when you want to go 10 over the limit. Hopefully on the highway people move the F&@# over when they see me coming.

Hah. The only problem with having a white explorer with interceptor on the hood is people do the speed limit when they see you, which sucks when you want to go 10 over the limit. Hopefully on the highway people move the F&@# over when they see me coming.

Same here... ever since Ex's starting rolling out to our local LEO agencies, people think I'm some sort of unmarked. Might be annoying everyone driving slow around you, but at least everyone is driving safe enough as to pose no harm to you, the family, and most importantly, your truck :D (ok, might have to rearrange the order of importance LOL)

Back