2012 Ranger

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
Yes, this is the latest generation of ranger. Apparently the United States will not get this ranger. Well I found this by accident cruising the web on motor trend. Its the 2011/2012 Ford Ranger, but its not for the U.S.. Its for the other countries. Reading through the articles this new ranger would be too closely related to the F150, so this ranger would take away sales from the F150. Most Likely the reason being this ranger would be way more fuel efficient and (if I read the article right) will have a desiel option.
It is worth noting, however, that Ford has claimed they do not intend to bring the global Ranger to the U.S. market once they kill off the aging U.S. market Ranger next year. Some speculate that the cannibalizing of F-150 sales would cost Ford more than what they will lose by simply not offering a smaller pickup.
So here's the new 2011/2012 T6 Ranger (not to be sold in U.S)

2012-ford-ranger-front-three-quarters.jpg

2012-ford-ranger-rear-three-quarters.jpg

2012-ford-ranger-interior.jpg

Here's a link to the articles for all who want to read:
2011/2012 Ford Ranger
2011/2012 Ford Ranger
2011/2012 Ford Ranger

Post up your thoughts on this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't particularly like the looks, but it's not as bad as the new explorer. Maybe Ford is gearing up for a new Bronco?

It's the Ranger that the UK gets... we've had the Ranger based on the Mazda B2 for about 8 years I think. It's no threat to the F150 as it's pretty much the same size as the Ranger you get in North America.

I think Ford need to have a re-think... They're getting rid of the V8's, Rear Wheel Drive and large, family vehicles, for small engined, Front wheel drive boxes.. The likes of GM and Dodge will end up with the larger market share....

Si

Ford's partial thinking on not replacing the Ranger is that the fuel economy of the new F150's once the EcoBoost engines go in is going to be the same as the Ranger is with the 4 cylinder currently in production. The bean counters are convinced that Ranger buyers will buy a Transit.

Problem is (and the internal fighting over it at Rotunda) is that not everyone wants an F150, especially since that truck is just getting too darn big, and families are not going to buy a Transit Connect, it's just not going to happen, it's a little panel delivery van as much as they want to dress it up, it still looks like a delivery van.

Nope, still a mini cargo van. :D

Take the Chevy HHR- while clumsy and a giant piece of s***, it was retro. Kitschy, and it sold ok. People at least had conversation over it. The Transit is just too delivery van-ish, and it isn't a truck- it's closed in. How the bean counters think they can sell an enclosed van in place of an open truck is beyond me. My Uncle fights this crap all day over there... :D

It reminds me of a Scion that they shaved the nose off of. :)

I still think that if in 2006 they created a crew cab version of this style ranger, the ranger would probably still be fairly popular.
2007.ford.ranger.20051498-300x189.jpg

Joe, I do agree. A cargo van cannot replace a truck. I don't understand how ford can market the Transit Connect as a truck.

It is a mistake that ford has said they are leaving the compact truck market. People like me, who don't need an F150, a ranger is just adequate. But ford is forcing people to pay the price for an F150. And the F150 is more expensive so they can make more profit off of it.

And the F150 is more expensive so they can make more profit off of it.

...and we have a winner! :D

Profit plus dropping fuel efficient engines into F150's, running everything on one line, parts commonality... Yep- you got it. ;)

its sad that the explorer outlived the ranger in america :thumbdwn:

it really sucks
I need a ranger sized truck to fit in garage
Looks like the rest of the world will get the new one
and nothing here
But have to admit Ford has not been wrong too many times

What sells in america? Big or little? Why do we love our Expeditions, Suburbans, Tahoes? AMERICA LOVES SUPERSIZED!!! Nothing is wrong with the Ranger, many people would buy a new redesigned ranger, but FORD (well someone that works there) is not smart enough to realize the market for it.

its sad that the explorer outlived the ranger in america :thumbdwn:
The explorer is what was selling back when the ranger needed a redesign. All the focus went in to selling Explorers, and F150s.

Back