2012 stalling, burning smell & smoke | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 stalling, burning smell & smoke

Akmechanic

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fairbanks, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT Ex
Hi all!
Searched around and didn't see a thread on this sepfically so I'm thowing this out there. Lemme start by sayin my dealer is on the problem and has been helpful and responsive and (mostly) professional. (One service advisor told me I was "wasting my time bringing in an intermittent problem and if they didn't find anything for wouldn't pay for anything so I would have to" depsite my having the highest level ESP and the problem beginning JUST out of base warranty. I ignored him completely and dealt with my normal advisor.)

At about 36500 miles, after idling at the convenence store for a few minutes, while leaving the parking lot the engine was hesitating like it was running out of fuel and then died. NO warnign lights other than Low Oil Pressure after the engine died. Restart, no warning lights, pulled on to the road an died again. REstarted, wouldn't idle, revved it up and heard a whine and started smelling burning plastic/rubber or ATF. Pulled into a parking lot, engine died, called Ford Service and got a tow. Was told that some hoses got left off of the intake on my last service and oil got sucked into the intake manfold. My thoughts was "Serously? How the eff can that even happen..." but hey they said it was fixed so I carried on.

One week to the day later, left the gym again pulled onto the same road, accelerated normally, stopped at a red light saw a rough idle on the tach. The smell returned and with 3 seconds smoke - not steam or vapor - SMOKE filled the cabin through the dash vents. The engine was running noramlly so I accelerated towards the side of the road. The smoke stopped within a few seconds but some could still be seen for a few more seconds coming from the front right corner of the hood which also cleared soon after so I continued on to the dealer.

Just got off the phone (it's been there for a week) and they've replaced what sounded like all of AC system components. As a mechanic myself, it sounded like they "shotgunned" the AC system, I assume because of the smoke complaint.

Just wanted to get this out in case anyone else had this issue and maybe some possible leads. I'm not sure about the latest fix. I'm pretty sure I saw/smelled and electrical fire which was drawn into the heater and blown into the cabin. It's in the 30s up here so I wasn't using the AC. I'll try and keep this updated.

The invoice says that the AC compressor was found to be siezed up. They replaced it and everything else in the AC system from what it looks like. But didn't list the belt on the invoice so I'm hoping they changed that too. Lol. We'll see if that was a cause or a result of something else.
On another note, I'm glad I went with the ESP. Just saved me 800 bucks and I'm only 700 miles out of base warranty.
For any prospective buyers out there - GET THE ESP if you plan to have the vehicle longer than the 3/36K base warranty period. Just sayin.

Back