2013 Blinker / turn signal...am I the only one?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Blinker / turn signal...am I the only one??

Just co-signing. This happens all the time in ours. It used to be infuriating but now I just laugh.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just co-signing. This happens all the time in ours. It used to be infuriating but now I just laugh.
Welcome to the Forum cw21726. :wavey:
I don't know why people are having this issue. You simple push the lever up or down. You only flash the hi beams if you pull up on it. Now having said that, I admit I've done it a couple of times in the almost 2 years I've had mine but it has never been at night.
Are you having this problem on your 2003 XLT or is that a misprint?

Peter

What do you mean you don't know why people have this issue? The thing takes a lot of force to click it...when you are pressing that hard against something it is easy enough to go slightly forward instead of just up

What do you mean you don't know why people have this issue? The thing takes a lot of force to click it...when you are pressing that hard against something it is easy enough to go slightly forward instead of just up
Seriously? I don't find it that bad. It does take a bit of force, more than my previous Highlander, but that is because of the dumb design of it in my opinion. Because it doesn't have a detent that keeps it in the upper or lower position until the steering wheel cancels it, you are having to exert some extra force against the mechanism that automatically puts it back in the rest position (Neutral). The signal mechanism is the one thing I really, really dislike on this vehicle.:thumbdwn:

Peter

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking for about 8 years. lol

We did have an '03 but now drive a '13.

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking for about 8 years. lol

We did have an '03 but now drive a '13.
Time to update your vehicle specs. Hope you are enjoying your new ride. I really like mine. Happy motoring and all the best in 2013.:thumbsup:

Peter

Its just not that big of a deal to me, I like the way it flashes 3 or 5 times for lane change. have the feature on both the explorer and the F-350. My biggest problem is I turn the signal off because I check it too often.

After getting used to the difference between it and a mechanical turn signal stalk, I like the one in the Explorer now. No issues with it for me.

I flash my brights and turn my wipers on
i flip my blinker to go right and flash brights and turn the wipers on
its funny lol

Its just not that big of a deal to me, I like the way it flashes 3 or 5 times for lane change. have the feature on both the explorer and the F-350. My biggest problem is I turn the signal off because I check it too often.
I've done that myself several times, inadvertently canceling the signal and then having to turn it on again. The 3 times it flashes for a lane change is too short. 5 or 6 times would be much better. My previous vehicle also had this lane change feature but when you wanted to signal a turn, the stalk would stay in the selected position until the turn was completed.
I agree that it isn't a big deal but it can be a nuisance at times.

Peter

I must be in the minority with the 3 blinks being adequate. This is just technology applied from the European vehicles where 3 blink lane change signal is standard.

I must be in the minority with the 3 blinks being adequate. This is just technology applied from the European vehicles where 3 blink lane change signal is standard.

Ditto. I wish it were programmable. I would change it to 5 or 6.

When I first got the truck I was flashing people all the time. I think I've finally adapted to,the force it takes to turn the signal on without blinding oncoming traffic.

Ditto. I wish it were programmable. I would change it to 5 or 6.

When I first got the truck I was flashing people all the time. I think I've finally adapted to,the force it takes to turn the signal on without blinding oncoming traffic.

You realize you can hold it in the first position and it will blink until you let go right? If you want 5 or 6 blinks you just need to keep your finger on the lever for a few more seconds. I actually mostly just use the first position for all of my turns as I find it very comfortable to rest the finger while the hand is at the 9oclock position.

You realize you can hold it in the first position and it will blink until you let go right? If you want 5 or 6 blinks you just need to keep your finger on the lever for a few more seconds. I actually mostly just use the first position for all of my turns as I find it very comfortable to rest the finger while the hand is at the 9oclock position.

Agree. Adaptation and improvisation.

Bobby:thumbsup:

Absolutely.

But if I could, I would change the number of blinks for first position to 5 or 6, because, as many have mentioned before, 3 is insufficient.

Absolutely.

But if I could, I would change the number of blinks for first position to 5 or 6, because, as many have mentioned before, 3 is insufficient.

I'm not sure if that is changeable or not, I had to reprogram the BCM when I installed LED bulbs in my F-350 they blinked too fast so I had to have the lamp out feature turned off.

I have had the same problem with the newer Fords (Super Duty and explorer). Or I'd accidentally make it flash on the other side going to turn it off. After about a half hour of seat time I got it down though.
Interesting fact: for both GM and Ford's 3 flash systems, when in tow/haul mode they flash 5 times.

Ok, maybe its cuz I'm a girl and my hands are small, but with the blinker on the 2013 (and maybe previous models, not sure because I have never driven them) it has the two "settings" for lack of a better word...half way pushed and it blinks 3 times and then you actually click it up/down and it stays on until you turn... Am I the only one that flashes my brights at people all the time trying to turn it all the way on!! LOL. I have only had it a couple of weeks and I LOVE my Explorer, but I'm sure half the town is always wondering why I am flashing my brights at them, LOL!!

Old thread, but heres a fix for ya BlueX!
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388119

Anyone know if there is a way to fake the tow mode to get the 5 flashes without actually being in towing mode?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know if there is a way to fake the tow mode to get the 5 flashes without actually being in towing mode?
So in tow/haul mode it blinks 5 times?? As far as I'm concerned that is the way it should be normally. 3 is too short.

Peter

Back