2013 Explorer High Pitch Squeak 38k miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knight14

Reaction score
City, State
Central Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Black Explorer
Hey all,

I am not new to the forum, I have had an account since 2008 and lost my password so here I am. I recently upgraded from a 2003 Explorer XLT the died at 200k miles (great vehicle I put 100k miles on it personally). Anyway, I now have a 2013 Explorer Base (with added leather ). I have a squeaking noise coming from the front end engine compartment or suspension. It is a high pitched squeal and squeak that is intermittent. It will not happen within the first few minutes of driving, pushing on the brake relieves the noise 90% of the time and it doesn't matter if it is raining like a hurricane or dry. It will squeak one day after 20 min of driving then no squeak for an hour and then it will come back. I have a video with audio I just took let me see if I can get it uploaded. I am thinking a belt or pulley but maybe suspension? It does not seem like it is coming from the suspension. Any thoughts would help, I can post any videos, no warning indicators, 38k miles great SUV besides the squeaking I love it. Thanks in advance! I can answer any questions and get video up. -Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not saying definitively, but I think you may have a slight brake drag condition--slide pins may need attention.

I didn't watch the video, but from your description that the sound goes away when you hit the brakes has me thinking brakes as well.

I am not saying definitively, but I think you may have a slight brake drag condition--slide pins may need attention.

Would this be a smaller repair if this is the case? What would be rubbing or causing the noise within the brakes? I have replaced rotars and pads on my 03 a few years ago. Could very well be the brakes but they perform great no pulse or stutter. I have not pulled off the front wheels yet and inspected but if I did what should I look for? Any information would be appreciated I always come to this forum to find knowledge on Explorers I love them. Have had a 97, 03 and now the 13 and I have been happier and happier with each one. Just bought it and no indicator warns and car drives perfectly in my opinion. Just trying to provide info, any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks! -Jake

I didn't watch the video, but from your description that the sound goes away when you hit the brakes has me thinking brakes as well.
Thank you for your reply! If there is any guidance or info you could provide by watching the video I would appreciate it. Thanks for concurring though, I was almost sure it's a belt but brake would make sense now that I think of it.

On the Explorer (and even Taurus), the slide pins tend to need lubrication after a while--dirt and debris tends to clog and as it has been explained to me, essentially, the pad may not fully retract.

When I last dealt with this on the Taurus, I had a squeak just like you that often went away with another application of the brake.

It is not a major repair, just a bit labor intensive when you consider all four calipers and dealer rates, unless you're DIY.

On the Explorer (and even Taurus), the slide pins tend to need lubrication after a while--dirt and debris tends to clog and as it has been explained to me, essentially, the pad may not fully retract.

When I last dealt with this on the Taurus, I had a squeak just like you that often went away with another application of the brake.

It is not a major repair, just a bit labor intensive when you consider all four calipers and dealer rates, unless you're DIY.
Ahh gotcha, thanks for that info that makes total sense and I think you are right. A belt would sound different and make noise when idle, bearings would squeak over bumps etc. I am a DIY thank goodness. Did you do yours yourself? I have a good buddy that is a city mechanic here in Orlando and works on the police and fire explorers so he is an amazing resource and I also do my own thing but this guy does it everyday and knows these explorers like the back of his hand and owns two as well. He has been moving for a week so have had to wait. Any recommendations say take it to a certain shop or the dealer? I didn't buy from dealer I am just out of warranty at 38.5k miles.

I will most likely take it somewhere just for he hell of it and see what they say and also get my mechanics opinion. I know the car is driving great and I don't want to overpay on labor when I have two hands. Many thanks

Does anyone else have an opinion or experience like this? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think any independent garage could handle the job assuming my diagnosis was correct. Nothing special as far as I know. I didn't do it myself, I had a dealer do it that I trusted at the time.

I think any independent garage could handle the job assuming my diagnosis was correct. Nothing special as far as I know. I didn't do it myself, I had a dealer do it that I trusted at the time.

thefranchise713, thank you that is the route I am going. I have a shop and mechanic I trust just haven't been able to get over there until this weekend. The more I drive it the more brakes needed adjustment makes sense. Again much appreciated.

If there are any other opinions or experiences on this topic I would appreciate it. Getting it to the shop this weekend

Bump, took it to a shop that I do not trust and they said it was a right front wheel hub bearing. Wanted 400 total to replace. Took it to my mechanic I trust who works for the city. He tested all the wheels and said there is nothing wrong. Said that there is a little rust on top of brake rotors that can fall in between the place next to the rotor or they can rub. It only happens 20-30% of time intermittently.

2017 ford explorer same problem
Are you fix this?!

2017 ford explorer same problem
Are you fix this?!
Welcome to the Forum Sergio. :wave:
FYI, the member who started this thread was last seen here on September 17, 2016.

Peter

Back