2013 Explorer Limited vs 2013 Pathfinder Platinum Premium | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Limited vs 2013 Pathfinder Platinum Premium

WoodduckMN

Reaction score
City, State
Andover, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Have a 2013 Limited with a 302 package on hold at our dealer awaiting. But made the mistake of driving the Nissan today.

A fully loaded PPP I can buy for $42,300 (MSRP 44,300), compared to the Explorer for $43,000 (MSRP $51,000). The Pathfinder does come with dual DVD which the Ex doesn't.

The Pathfinder by far has more comfortable front seats, a bit wider and softer than the Ex. I like the higher ride and electronics in the Ex.

I'm concerned about quality with both. I lemon lawed by 2011 Ex due to the steering issue. Two of the four Pathfinders did have issues. One had a Canadian speedometer KpH rather than MpH, and another was delivered missing the rear right door panel, QA must have been sleeping on that one. Wondering about the CV transmission on the Pathfinder and how that will hold up. This redesign was just introduced. Wondering how many first year issues there will be.

If could have located a Pathfinder PP in Mocha with black interior, I think it would have been purchased. Can't locate one anywhere in the US. To order one will be about three months.

Anyone else have any feelings. My repurchase check will be at the dealer on Monday or Tuesday and I need to make the decision. Never have owned a non-US manufacturer before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of my dad's golden rules was to never buy a first year vehicle. Having lemon lawed your Ex, it would appear that first year design didn't serve you well. I would be hesitant in jumping into another 1st year design, especially one that is as radically different from its predecessor as the Pathfinder is. With the Ex, at least you know a lot of the kinks have been worked out.

About the CVT, I wouldn't be too worried about that. Whether you like the technology or not, from most of what I have read, Nissan seems to have the best system out there.

I'm not sure how much that all helps, but gives you something to think about :) Hope all is well with your new car, and when you get it, post a few pics on this thread (even if it is a Pathfinder, lol ;))

There is a ton of brand new stuff in the new pathfinder, I wouldnt touch it for at least 3 years. The explorer has been out for a while, and we have seen evidence of some of the problems, and have discussed heavily the others. The way i would try to look at the 2013 explorer is "can i deal with the known problems that still dont have a fix"

Based on my 2013 EXP, I'd take a chance and buy the Pathfinder....My 13 is every bit as bad as the 2011's........I've had two previous EXP's that were fine, but this one I would definately NOT recommend.......

Based on my 2013 EXP, I'd take a chance and buy the Pathfinder....My 13 is every bit as bad as the 2011's........I've had two previous EXP's that were fine, but this one I would definately NOT recommend.......
For the record, my 2011 has been great as have many others of that year. I have no problem recommending the Explorer based on my experience.
Unfortunately, every manufacturer will have some vehicles that have continuous problems but that is no reason to write off the entire production of that particular model. I am quite sure that those that feel as you do make up a very, very small percentage of Explorer owners.
There were posts similar to yours on the Toyota forum I participated in before I got my Ex. In the end it always comes down to an owner's personal experience with a particular model but that isn't always an accurate reflection on the brand itself.

Peter

ya, that new pathfinder is alot of SUV for the money. I stopped looking. it's hurting too much.

BTW, i notices that the new pathfinder are going for about 4500 off the msrp and the explorer is going for about 7000 off the msrp. with all the incentive going around. Alot of good deals out there.

The pathfinder isn't really new. Its borrowing a lot of stuff from the Infiniti JX.

Thanks for the feedback all. We are still thinking.

Thanks for the feedback all. We are still thinking.

Do you really want to reward a company when you were forced to lemon law one of their products? Do you really want a 13, when they're not that much different? Go with the Nissan.

Again, I think reading over this entire 2011-2013 Explorer forum really shows the issues and complaints with this vehicle. I read it because I find entertainment with the owners and what is "okay".

To the OP, I owned the Explorer for one month. I got rid of it as it did nothing for me. There is nothing to get excited about. I liked the 21mpg but that was it. It's a Ford Taurus that got bigger is all. Honestly, I felt like I was driving an Enterprise Rent a Car. I even went with the kiddo to a place called Bearizona and the guy there told me I didn't have to worry about the bears if I got the supplemental insurance with the rental. :eek: :eek:

Oh and for the love of all the cute and fuzzy bunnies out there get the tow package!!!! An SUV that can only tow 2,500 is no bueno. My two Sea-Doos and trailer were too heavy! WTF?? On top of that, forget renting a Uhaul trailer, the Explorer has been black listed. Lame... :confused:

The pathfinder isn't really new. Its borrowing a lot of stuff from the Infiniti JX.

Yeah, cuz the JX has been around for a whole 15 minutes, right? :D

J/K!!

I'm not sure the 8 month head start on the JX gives them a lot of time to work out any kinks. That being said, I haven't been tracking the JX and don't know if they are having a lot of 1st year bugs :)

Again, I think reading over this entire 2011-2013 Explorer forum really shows the issues and complaints with this vehicle. I read it because I find entertainment with the owners and what is "okay".

To the OP, I owned the Explorer for one month. I got rid of it as it did nothing for me. There is nothing to get excited about. I liked the 21mpg but that was it. It's a Ford Taurus that got bigger is all. Honestly, I felt like I was driving an Enterprise Rent a Car. I even went with the kiddo to a place called Bearizona and the guy there told me I didn't have to worry about the bears if I got the supplemental insurance with the rental. :eek: :eek:

You shoulda spent more and gotten a nicer one ;)

And what are you still doin' around here? Didn't get a different car? We don't take kindly to your kind comin' in here and talkin' smack about our rides :D

Oh and for the love of all the cute and fuzzy bunnies out there get the tow package!!!! An SUV that can only tow 2,500 is no bueno. My two Sea-Doos and trailer were too heavy! WTF?? On top of that, forget renting a Uhaul trailer, the Explorer has been black listed. Lame... :confused:
This seems to be more of a reflection of someone not doing their homework on the vehicle they were buying than on the vehicle itself.
The specs are quite clear that you need the tow package to get the 5000 lb towing capability. So you bought a demo without the package and then complained it wasn't capable of towing your tailer and toys?? Whose fault is that? In a way I'm glad the tow package is an option. That is $500 I didn't have to pay out for something I don't need.
As for not being able to rent a U-Haul, that has nothing to do with Ford and everything to do with the out dated thinking of U-Haul.
As for the feeling that you mentined that you were driving a rental, why did your opinion suddenly change? Here is one of your previous posts about the favourite things about the Explorer;

Here are my favorite features....

1) The looks
2) The options on the steering wheel and dash
3) Setting the cruise control at 87MPH and getting 22.5MPG in a "three rower"

4) Power Liftgate
5) Autostart
6) Auto up switches for front windows.
7) my iPhone address book available

I have the XLT so no ambient light or power folding stuff.

Peter

Picking up our 2013 Explorer Limited with the 302 package. White Diamond Tri-Coat. Black leather interior, rear buckets, console, sunroof weather tech fitted floor liners. $42,250.

Good choice.I have had mine for awhile now and love it. Just over 70k KM and it is a beautiful ride. I was driving some rentals for work. One was a Jeep GC and the other was a Dodge Durango both 2012's.... When I got back into the Ex it just made me realize what a great vehicle it is.

Picking up our 2013 Explorer Limited with the 302 package. White Diamond Tri-Coat. Black leather interior, rear buckets, console, sunroof weather tech fitted floor liners. $42,250.

Good Luck, but I think you"ll need it......Plum

Congratulations on your new aquisition. I guess they must have changed the paint names. My 2011 is a white platinum tri-coat and I love the vehicle. It has been a really great ride and I still love it everytime I drive it. :thumbsup:

Peter

White Platinum Tri-coat is the correct color name Diamond is the GMC white we were looking at.

I was going to look at the pathfinder, but the lack of HID headlights and blind spot monitoring are deal breakers. I've had HIDs for 7 years and blind spot monitoring for 4, I don't want to give those up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2011 Explorer Limited, my wife has a 2012 Nissan Murano SL (The New Pathfinder is really a large Murano). IMO her Murano feels more solid in some areas. The Explorer has more technology (when it works). One major knock on all Nissans is the paint. A small nick in the parking lot that would likely rub off on most cars scratches all the way to the metal on the Murano. There are several dings all over her car as well as the hood because the paint it so thin.

My wife's Murano recommends 93 octane fuel. Not sure what the Pathfinder recommends, but be sure to consider that. The CVT has been flawless as well.

Back