2013 Explorer Loud Pop/Rock Hitting Windshield Sound When Hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Loud Pop/Rock Hitting Windshield Sound When Hot

Captain beefy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
Hi forum!

Just got a 2013 Explorer with 30k on it. Runs great, we love it except for one thing.

When it sits in the sun and you run the AC while driving there is a loud (to the point where it makes you jump and is actually audible over the phone) pop noise. It sounds like a rock cracking the windshield. It does it while moving or sitting still.

It's been back to the dealer twice in 7 days. Once they were able to reproduce it, second time they couldnt because it wasn't hot.

Has anyone had this before? I can't duplicate it without it being hot.

I'm not saying you this is not a problem with your Explorer...just checking other possibilities...

You didn't have a partially filled water bottle in the car did you? I've had them in the past, due to temperature changes start making a popping sound. Just catches you off guard until you realize what it is.

I'm not saying you this is not a problem with your Explorer...just checking other possibilities...

You didn't have a partially filled water bottle in the car did you? I've had them in the past, due to temperature changes start making a popping sound. Just catches you off guard until you realize what it is.

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately the car was totally empty, it did it on the test drive too and the dealer assumed it was acorns hitting the windshield.

We took it to a different dealership and they replaced the wiper cowl but it still does it. I don't think it's related to wind because the car will do it sitting still.

Back