2013 Explorer ... | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer ...

Hi all. New to the forum, so I'm sorry if this is a rehash. Has there been any word about a v-6 Eco boost or hybrid version?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum Kevman44!

Other than a lot of speculation, and wishful thinking, there is little to no evidence that an ecoboost v-6 is in the Explorer's future. Some out there believe that it may appear in a possible Aviator model from Lincoln.

Ford is in the process of developing a new line of smaller displacement ecoboost v-6's that may find their way into future models, but there is very little information as to which models and when.

As for hybrid versions of the Ex, I have not seen any info whatsoever on that topic. Maybe with a hybrid, it could finally achieve the EPA mileage estimates of the gas versions! lol.

Welcome to the forum Kevman44!

Other than a lot of speculation, and wishful thinking, there is little to no evidence that an ecoboost v-6 is in the Explorer's future. Some out there believe that it may appear in a possible Aviator model from Lincoln.

Ford is in the process of developing a new line of smaller displacement ecoboost v-6's that may find their way into future models, but there is very little information as to which models and when.

As for hybrid versions of the Ex, I have not seen any info whatsoever on that topic. Maybe with a hybrid, it could finally achieve the EPA mileage estimates of the gas versions! lol.
The 3.5L EcoBoost™ V-6 twin-turbocharged, direct-injection engine is available in the 2012 Lincoln MKT. It delivers 350 lb.-ft. of torque and 355 horsepower on premium fuel.
Mileage advertised as 13.1L/100 km city and 9.2L/100 km hwy. (22 mpg city/31 hwy.), which is actually less that the Explorer, eco-boost or 3.5 V6.
Info from Lincoln Canada.

Welcome aboard Kevman44. :wavey:

Peter

Peter

Beat ya to it Peter! Muahahahaha

P.S. - was the above for my benefit or Kevman44s?

Beat ya to it Peter! Muahahahaha

P.S. - was the above for my benefit or Kevman44s?
Either/or.
I wasn't aware of it myself. Wonder why the Lincoln has it but not the Explorer.
It seems to me that there are a few people wanting it in the Ex but they only thing they would gain is power. Which is good for towing. Mileage figures I posted are worse than we have the Explorer now.

Peter

The 3.5L EcoBoost™ V-6 twin-turbocharged, direct-injection engine is available in the 2012 Lincoln MKT. It delivers 350 lb.-ft. of torque and 355 horsepower on premium fuel.
Mileage advertised as 13.1L/100 km city and 9.2L/100 km hwy. (22 mpg city/31 hwy.), which is actually less that the Explorer, eco-boost or 3.5 V6.

Peter

That Lincoln might be the ugliest Lincoln ever made. What were they thinking?

I'm certainly not a fan of that front end. It looks a little better on the sedan, but not much.

Peter

Either/or.
I wasn't aware of it myself. Wonder why the Lincoln has it but not the Explorer.
It seems to me that there are a few people wanting it in the Ex but they only thing they would gain is power. Which is good for towing. Mileage figures I posted are worse than we have the Explorer now.

Peter

The reason the MKT has it is because the MKT is the Flex in Lincoln clothing.

Yeah, I would imagine mileage numbers would get worse, but I am not sure how much worse, seeing as the EPA #'s aren't holding up well with the Explorer.

The new engines that are in development are supposed to be a 2.3L ecoboost I4 and a 2.7L ecoboost V6.

The 2.3L is supposed to replace the base V6's (becoming the base engine in the 2015 Mustang). I've seen estimates on the 2.3L of 300hp and 300lb of torque, with the 2.7 in between that and the 3.5L ecoboost. Rumors have the 2.7L becoming the base engine in the Lincoln line, with their new unique sheetmetal/powertrain philosophy. FWIW, as these are all rumors and speculation based on little bits of info here and there.

I saw a 2013 Limited black with most of the options at a local dealer in NoVa Saturday. They are starting to arrive :)

I didn't think to ask what version of MFT was on it.

Glad I am not alone in thinking that! Looks like that grill was an afterthought and they found some old ones in stock from the 60's that happen to fit! :)

No Kidding!! I asked my wife if she wanted a Lincoln or the Explorer and as soon as she saw a MKT she said NO WAY would I want to drive that ugly thing!:usa::eek:

Has anyone sat in a 2013 Explorer yet?

Just wondering if they reconfigured the door panel or increased the size if the steering wheel so a 5'5" 120 lb woman can rest her left elbow anywhere on the drivers side door while sitting straight up in the drivers seat. Heck I'm 6' and 215 with wide shoulders and I find the 2012 Explorer to be the most uncomfortable Ford I've ever driven. My left arm is continuously searching for a resting spot. The MKT sure is ugly but I'd rather sit in that for a 5 hour ride long before the Explorer. As much as I do like many things about the Explorer unless they improved the driving position, I'm headed for a 2013 Ecoboost Flex as long as the puny MFT steering wheel does not ruin the driving position. The Flex handling and ride blows away the Explorer but I would like the extra height and 500 lbs more towing capacity of the Explorer.

Just wondering if they reconfigured the door panel or increased the size if the steering wheel so a 5'5" 120 lb woman can rest her left elbow anywhere on the drivers side door while sitting straight up in the drivers seat. Heck I'm 6' and 215 with wide shoulders and I find the 2012 Explorer to be the most uncomfortable Ford I've ever driven. My left arm is continuously searching for a resting spot. The MKT sure is ugly but I'd rather sit in that for a 5 hour ride long before the Explorer. As much as I do like many things about the Explorer unless they improved the driving position, I'm headed for a 2013 Ecoboost Flex as long as the puny MFT steering wheel does not ruin the driving position. The Flex handling and ride blows away the Explorer but I would like the extra height and 500 lbs more towing capacity of the Explorer.

I think you should review the other Ford models as that steering wheel is across most of the Ford line up. The steering wheel isn't the problem it's the width of the interior and the distance between the driver and the door.

Many have complained they can't lean on the door while driving long trips.

Can you rest on the console?

Yeah, I've learned to rest to the right side on the console or prop my left leg to where my foot is flat on the floor and use my knee to rest my left arm. Im kinda glad the door is too far to rest my left arm because on my previous car, i rested my left elbow on the door panel constantly and it was starting to leave a wear spot.

Hi bill239, welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I went from an '09 Highlander to the 2011 Explorer and did find that the door arm rest was a little futher away. Having driven it for almost a year, I can now say that I don't really notice it anymore. I am 5' 9.5" and find that I don't have to lean to position my arm on the rest.

Peter

I think you should review the other Ford models as that steering wheel is across most of the Ford line up. The steering wheel isn't the problem it's the width of the interior and the distance between the driver and the door.

Many have complained they can't lean on the door while driving long trips.

Can you rest on the console?

Thanks for the feedback. The MKX has the same steering wheel but totally different door location. I need 4500 lb towing so that vehicle is out. After putting 235,000 miles on my 97 F-150 and various Taurus's and Lincoln's I'm just used to both elbows resting at the same height and same width apart. That's just automatic. In the summer time the window goes down, the left arm goes on the window sill, and the left hand perfectly falls on the steering wheel. Try that with a 2012 Explorer. I customized my 95 Road King with drag bars to place my arms at the same height as my truck and recliner. My recliner was built with arm rests at the same level and width so I can comfortably drive my remote in one hand and a beer in the other. Would anyone ever buy a recliner where the left armrest was lower and 3 or 4 inches further to the left? Case closed! Reminds me of most Japanese cars I've driven for crying out loud. My left elbow is either on the arm rest or just below the window in my truck and in either location the steering wheel fits perfectly in my left hand. And yes I do have two well worn spots on the door after so many miles.

My wife (who will drive whatever vehicle we buy as my F-150, still with no rust, is just broke in) and I sat in just about every model on the showroom floor including the new Edge, MKX, MKT, MKS, Taurus, Mustang, F-150, and Flex. Only the Explorer was impossible for my wife. She can't even come close to reaching left arm rest unless she tilts over about 20 degrees to the left! Supposedly the Explorer was designed by a team led by women. Well, those women must dress out about 250 because my wife who adores the Explorer and wanted one right up until she drove the darn thing sure does not fit!

As a 35 year software developer I can only conclude the same criteria that went into selecting the design team for MFT (obviously kids under the age of 25) must have also applied to the crew in charge of seating in this beast. I would have been fired on day one if I presented such a poorly designed user interface as MFT and it certainly never would have been released with such poor fonts, colors, organization, and no geezer mode. BTW, in a vehicle this size what happened to the rear seat leg room? I'm not sure my granddaughter's car seat will even fit if I'm in the passenger seat. While the Flex sure is polarizing from the outside the interior (and handling, noise, and ride) trumps the Explorer in almost every way, especially in seating position and lack of blind spots. The Flex is 3 inches narrower and 4 inches longer or in other words, exactly what is wrong with the Explorer.

If the 2013 Explorer fixes the drivers seating position, we might buy one. Sounds unlikely and sad as I am a bug Ford guy. The implementation could have been so much better and resulted in even bigger sales. I'll likely buy the 2013 Ecoboost Flex and I'm still really looking forward to the redesign for 2014 F-150!

Will the power steering wheel position be part of the driver memory settings? Also can it be set to rise up at power off to make exit/entry easier?

James

I have the manual for the '13 Explorer. Yes, the pedals and the steering column positions are stored in memory along with mirrors and seat position. Further, opening the door will cause the steering column to reposition itself to a position for easy entry/exit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter

My local dealer (Lawrenceville, NJ), in response to my question, told me that sometime this fall Ford will offer the 355HP Ecoboost engine for the Explorer, but only on the FWD version.

Back