2013 Explorer ... | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer ...

Hi bill239, welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I went from an '09 Highlander to the 2011 Explorer and did find that the door arm rest was a little futher away. Having driven it for almost a year, I can now say that I don't really notice it anymore. I am 5' 9.5" and find that I don't have to lean to position my arm on the rest.

Peter

came from an 09 highlander hey? Any reasons why you went the explorer route? Can you compare the 2 vehicles if you mind?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

came from an 09 highlander hey? Any reasons why you went the explorer route? Can you compare the 2 vehicles if you mind?
I had 3 Highlander Limiteds since 2001. Tried an Explorer before and found the ride to harsh for my liking. Was reading the newspaper at work in November 2010 and saw an article on the new Explorer saying that it no longer used a ladder (truck) frame and was now unibody. What really got my attention was a full colour photo of the dash. I more or less said to myself, I've got to have that. As it turned out the fellow that bought my '06 Highlander at lease end was standing there and said he would take my '09 lease over. It had 2 1/2 years to go.
The Highlander in my opinion had a little more 'get up and go' than the Explorer although both have the 3.5 V6. I also initially felt that the Explorer rode a bit stiffer but now that I've had it a year, I don't really notice it. Fuel mileage is about the same. The Explorer is wider (3.5"), longer (9") and taller. The Highlander didn't have any of the 'growing pains' we are currentl experiencing with the Explorer. It really was a great vehicle. The main difference is that unlike the AWD Explorer, the Highlander was 4WD. All 4 wheels were powered all the time, 50% front and 50% rear. It also came with a full sized spare and a 3rd row, which I never used. Towing capacity is 5000lbs and 8.1" ground clearance. Cargo room behind 1st row is 95.4 cu. ft compared to 80.7 for the Ex.
Hope that answers some of your questions.

Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0244a.jpg
    DSC_0244a.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 951

I had 3 Highlander Limiteds since 2001. Tried an Explorer before and found the ride to harsh for my liking. Was reading the newspaper at work in November 2010 and saw an article on the new Explorer saying that it no longer used a ladder (truck) frame and was now unibody. What really got my attention was a full colour photo of the dash. I more or less said to myself, I've got to have that. As it turned out the fellow that bought my '06 Highlander at lease end was standing there and said he would take my '09 lease over. It had 2 1/2 years to go.
The Highlander in my opinion had a little more 'get up and go' than the Explorer although both have the 3.5 V6. I also initially felt that the Explorer rode a bit stiffer but now that I've had it a year, I don't really notice it. Fuel mileage is about the same. The Explorer is wider (3.5"), longer (9") and taller. The Highlander didn't have any of the 'growing pains' we are currentl experiencing with the Explorer. It really was a great vehicle. The main difference is that unlike the AWD Explorer, the Highlander was 4WD. All 4 wheels were powered all the time, 50% front and 50% rear. It also came with a full sized spare and a 3rd row, which I never used. Towing capacity is 5000lbs and 8.1" ground clearance. Cargo room behind 1st row is 95.4 cu. ft compared to 80.7 for the Ex.
Hope that answers some of your questions.

Peter

absolutely does, thanks for the mini-quick review...if i dont like the resolutions give, i was thinking of some alternates for tradein and the 2012 highlander is one of them

My local dealer (Lawrenceville, NJ), in response to my question, told me that sometime this fall Ford will offer the 355HP Ecoboost engine for the Explorer, but only on the FWD version.

They were wrong.

Canadian 2013 Ex

I was advised today by my salesman that currently the Canadian 2013 Explorer will not be offered with the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost.
He was unsure if the 2013 Sport would have it here since there was no info available for him on that unit.

Peter

The 3.5L FWD FDR is 3.39; it was 3.16 for 12MY.
The 3.5L 4WD FDR is 3.65; it was 3.39 for 12MY.

Cory, does this stay the same for trailer tow package for 4wd for 2013? My build with trailer tow and 20 inch polished rims shows 3.65 FDR which makes me very happy...

Power to tow and off the line acceleration... Great combo! Worth the $570 upgrade for the hitch, wiring, cooler and resale value, even if I never tow with it.

Please confirm the axle ratio for the standard and tow package for other folks ordering one.

:chug:

Welcome to the forum Kevman44!

Other than a lot of speculation, and wishful thinking, there is little to no evidence that an ecoboost v-6 is in the Explorer's future. Some out there believe that it may appear in a possible Aviator model from Lincoln.

Ford is in the process of developing a new line of smaller displacement ecoboost v-6's that may find their way into future models, but there is very little information as to which models and when.

As for hybrid versions of the Ex, I have not seen any info whatsoever on that topic. Maybe with a hybrid, it could finally achieve the EPA mileage estimates of the gas versions! lol.

My local dealer (Lawrenceville, NJ), in response to my question, told me that sometime this fall Ford will offer the 355HP Ecoboost engine for the Explorer, but only on the FWD version.

They were wrong.

Hahaha suck it vince and alex......:mattmoon:

Published March 29, 2012: http://www.insideline.com/ford/explorer/2013/range-topping-2013-ford-explorer-sport-revealed.html
"The Explorer Sport will be equipped with a 350-horsepower twin-turbocharged EcoBoost 3.5-liter V6 engine linked to a paddle-shifted six-speed automatic transmission"

2013_ford_explorer-sport_f34_ns_329123_717.jpg

2013-Ford-Explorer-Sport-rear-view.jpg

2013-Ford-Explorer-Sport-badge.jpg

Explorer Sport

Ford.com website shows that the Sport is available with the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost engine. Some of the Lincolns also have the same EcoBoost engine.
The Canadian model just became available to 'be built' and it also shows the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost engine. The only problem, as I see it, is that the recommended fuel states "Premium".

Peter

Back