2013 Range Rover looks like an Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Range Rover looks like an Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hy Greg,

Sometime ago I read something related to your question, and here is the quote directly from Wikipedia: "The Explorer's chief design engineer is Jim Holland, who was also a chief design engineer for Land Rover. Holland is responsible for the design of the current generation Land Rover Range Rover (L322). Holland also worked on the outgoing Ford Expedition (U324) during its initial development.[18]" End of Quote.

Also more information here: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=32661

Bobby

Looks to me like a Flex, Explorer, and Evoque had a nasty threesome. The result is the new RR, which is unpleasant to my eye, especially the taillights. The rest of it is just boring.

Ford used to own Land Rover until 2008. Now TATA motors (An Indian Automotive Company) owns Land Rover. I think Land Rover (Tata motors) is basically copying Ford and using their designs.

There's a close resemblance. I really like the RR, I would like to see it with the air suspension pumped up though. Looks like a wagon at normal height. Sad to see the Jag shifter though. :(

Ford used to own Land Rover until 2008. Now TATA motors (An Indian Automotive Company) owns Land Rover. I think Land Rover (Tata motors) is basically copying Ford and using their designs.

I don't believe one company is copying the other. The new Explorer and Land Rover were designed by the same person.

The Range Rover doesn't look like the Explorer, the Explorer looks like the Range Rover.

I only see a very slight similarity, since it's an update of the current body style which has been around since 03'. I mean the only things that stick out really are the new headlights and swoopy design. I don't think either are being copied off either.

New Rover dropped over 700lbs so basically this thing weighs about the same/little less then a new 4X4 Explorer... the current models already feel effortless with the new engines and 6 speeds (especially the S/C'd models). With that huge weight loss and new 8 speed, man these big truck are gonna flat out haul ass lol, their rumored to have a big increase in mpg as well vs before. Wonder what the the Sport model will weigh in at, since it was never as quick or "sporty" as the Cayenne TT or X5/X6M.

I wish Ford was able to cram a s/c'd version of the 5.0 into a new Explorer lol

I don't believe one company is copying the other. The new Explorer and Land Rover were designed by the same person.
Jim Holland? Uhhh he left Land Rover in 05' ;) Not sure why people think he has anything to do with the 13' which is now a completely different company (Tata).

I only see a very slight similarity, since it's an update of the current body style which has been around since 03'. I mean the only things that stick out really are the new headlights and swoopy design. I don't think either are being copied off either.

New Rover dropped over 700lbs so basically this thing weighs about the same/little less then a new 4X4 Explorer... the current models already feel effortless with the new engines and 6 speeds (especially the S/C'd models). With that huge weight loss and new 8 speed, man these big truck are gonna flat out haul ass lol, their rumored to have a big increase in mpg as well vs before. Wonder what the the Sport model will weigh in at, since it was never as quick or "sporty" as the Cayenne TT or X5/X6M.

I wish Ford was able to cram a s/c'd version of the 5.0 into a new Explorer lol

Jim Holland? Uhhh he left Land Rover in 05' ;) Not sure why people think he has anything to do with the 13' which is now a completely different company (Tata).

I wasn't saying he had anything to do with the 2013, but Range Rover is still using his design that's just slightly updated. Even though the Indian company bought Range Rover, the same staff is still there, minus Holland of course. :)

I wasn't saying he had anything to do with the 2013, but Range Rover is still using his design that's just slightly updated. Even though the Indian company bought Range Rover, the same staff is still there, minus Holland of course. :)
afterwards I figured thats what some meant.

There's rumor their re-considering their stance on offering their diesel lineup here in the states. Would be pretty sweet as their diesel line is nice.

I like the explorer more than the RR

And the new Fusion looks like an Aston Martin. If the 2015 Mustang looks like an Austin Healey, we're in trouble.

Back