2014 Explorer Sport Wired for Trailer Brakes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Sport Wired for Trailer Brakes?

bjkb1f

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hi all,

I’m going to be adding a trailer brake controller for a new camper and want to figure out what I’m in for. Does anyone know if my vehicle is prewired for electric trailer brakes? It does not have the factory tow package.

I’ve seen videos that involve running wires up to the battery, through the firewall, etc.

But under the dash I have this plug - gray box - which I believe is for a brake controller.

DF929E27-F784-4AA9-9DA2-CF7E798CFB67.jpeg

I had a U-Haul hitch installed some time back so I have a four way flat plug for trailer lights. I followed that wiring and came to this. Could this be wired to a seven pin connection for trailer lights, brakes, etc?

A8B0A76C-CE95-4F6F-8FDE-2597FD43C89B.jpeg

If I can avoid running wires from the back to the front I’d like to. I’ve installed many car stereos in my younger days so it won’t be the end of the world, but if I can save myself time time, I’d like to.

Thanks all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure if it would have the factory plug without the tow package. I know with it all you do is get a brake controller and the harness to plug that in under the dash. Sorry I couldnt be of more help there.

Also, incase you have not researched it, I hope you are aware the Ex without the tow package can only tow 2,000lbs.. that does not leave many options but pop ups.

Thanks guys.

It’s a Sport with the 365 hp Ecoboost and from what I understand he tow capacity is 5,000 with a proper Class 3 hitch. Is that incorrect?

Thanks guys.

It’s a Sport with the 365 hp Ecoboost and from what I understand he tow capacity is 5,000 with a proper Class 3 hitch. Is that incorrect?
Yes. Even with an aftermarket class III hitch, the Explorer is only officially rated to tow 2000 lbs. With the factory you get several additional items such as an oil cooler, thicker radiator and a different transmission. They also come with a tow/haul button. Does my ranch truck need an aftermarket bumper? The Tow/Haul Mode: When do You Use It? « East Portland Blog
It is also covered on page 208 in the Owner's Manual.

Peter

Thanks guys.

The tow package is what makes it rated at 5k, not just a class III hitch, your explorer is 2k rated.

Back