New Member--2014 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member--2014 Explorer

blanchard7684

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hey folks,

Just registered. Reading this forum helped my wife and I decide on an explorer.

My wife and I are needing a family car.

We have a 2010 Mustang GT that has been amazing for us. Before the Mustang we had a 2002 F 150 that was unstoppable.

I have been a Ford mechanic and was an engineering intern at Ford multiple times.

We have searched far and wide for the right vehicle.

We narrowed the list down to 4-Runner, Explorer, Expedition based almost exclusively on reliability. Other SUVs seemed to be a horrible joke.

The 4-runner was the more reliable of the three. However, a few factors worked against them.

(Don't get me wrong...I'd love a 4-runner or an expedition if the decision was all mine. I'd probably pick the Expedition.)

SUV had to be mid size for ease of driving and navigation...Expedition out.

SUV had to be comfortable for very long road trips...Strike one 4-runner. The 4-runners we drove were noticeably less comfortable than the explorer.

Interior had to be "cute"...4-runner interior is, ummm, robocop-ish. Strike 2.

Power. 4-runner was winded easily compared to the explorer. (It also got lower fuel mileage). Strike 2.5...not a huge issue here 270 hp vs 290. The power curve and gearing just make the explorer seem substantially quicker.

Exterior. Explorer is stylish. The 4-runner is really challenging to like outside of the fully loaded Limited. Strike 3.

With the factors working against the 4-runner it was the reliability that kept us looking.

However brand loyalty and X-plan discount pushed us to an Explorer. Edit :A 2014 Limited.

I only had one bad experience with multiple ford vehicles: a 2002 mustang gt that was built at 8 am 9/11/2001. This thing was epic: engine knock, window motors bad at the same time, replacement engine leaked, make that squirted, oil from headgasket, rear end made grinding noise, transmission was extremely notchy, doors misaligned...just chalked it up to that terrible day.

A friend of mine has a GT that was made, by sheer luck, a few hours after mine and was just as bad.

Thanks for reading

So what Explorer did you or are you considering? I understand the Explorer was the way to go...but I assume you are looking at a Base, XLT or Limited. (due to the hp comment). So have you decided or are you shopping?

My opinion is that the Explorer is the best choice. But you know the saying about opinions...

So let us know what your family has decided '14 or '15?

Welcome to the Forum blanchard7684.:wavey:
Just so that members don't keep asking which Explorer you have, you can add it to your profile or if you are also a member of a 'Mustang' forum, you can also create and add it to your signature. That way you won't have to add it (2014 Limited) to every post.
Enjoy and happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Back