2015 Explorer Sport - Love Ride, Noise Concerns | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer Sport - Love Ride, Noise Concerns

ExAtl

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
First time Ford owner - previously owned a Lexus RX350 and Cadillac SRX. Made the move to a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport after experiencing the wonderful interior and power of the Sport model. Currently up to around 1300 miles and LOVE the ride (especially in gears 4-6). The extra turbo "ooomph" on the highways and side roads is exceptional and feels wonderful.

I love absolutely everything about the vehicle and feel like it is near perfect. However, I have noticed a couple of interior noises have started up that have caused me a bit of concern over the past few weeks.

The two (2) noises are as follows:

1) Driver Side Noise (steering column area): there is a faint ticking/creaking noise that can be heard. It's especially evident when I'm driving in the 30-40MPH zone with the radio off and on a fairly smooth road. It seems to surface when I gently press the accelerator, although I'm not certain that is the trigger for it. I had the dealership take a look at it, but without actually riding along with them and pointing it out to them, they returned the vehicle to me and said they could not replicate it. They were probably expecting a loud knocking sound, so they wrote it off as if the vehicle magically repaired itself. In fact, I'm sure a lot of people might say they don't hear it when I point it out to them since it is fairly faint. Sounds almost like something gently hitting against the inside of the driver side dash near the steering column, or within the actual column. I'll be taking it back to have it looked at again. I wish my hearing wasn't so good. :D

2) Ceiling Rattle: Just recently, I'm hearing a rattle which I thought was coming from the front passenger door/ceiling. Just sounds like something is loose and is triggered when going over uneven surfaces or bumps in the road. When I had a passenger ride along with me, they said they actually thought it was coming from the driver side. So, when we split the difference and ended up in the middle of the ceiling, I put my hand on the compartment that contains the sunglasses holder and dome lights. Once I put my hand on that plastic area in the ceiling, the sound seemed to stop completely. I'll now need to have the dealership to resolve this issue as well.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the ride of the vehicle, but need these noise issues to be resolved to my satisfaction (i.e. eliminated). If anyone has experienced similar interior noise issues, please feel free to share -- especially your methods/tactics for getting the dealership to experience, identify and correct the noise issues.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I love absolutely everything about the vehicle and feel like it is near perfect. However, I have noticed a couple of interior noises have started up that have caused me a bit of concern over the past few weeks...

Welcome to the forum and to the Ford Family, ExAtl! When you head back in to the dealership, I recommend taking your tech on a test drive so you can demonstrate the two noises you're hearing. Also, I'd like to get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager so they can help. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll take it from there. :)

Crystal

Welcome to the Forum ExAtl.:wavey:
I see Crystal, the Ford Service rep on this forum has already replied to your post. Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Yes, thank you both, Crystal and Peter. Glad to be here. And if I can get these noise issues hammered out, I'll be really, really glad to be here! :D

Welcome to the Forum ExAtl.:wavey:
I see Crystal, the Ford Service rep on this forum has already replied to your post. Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Unfortunately you have come from Luxury Crossovers to the more mundane Explorer. Noises are quite common, and if they are troublesome to you you are not going to be a happy owner. Things in the Explorer expand and contract, squeak and rattle, moan and groan. It's simply the nature of the beast. Sometimes I'll be amazed that my car isn't making any noise...I think it takes the perfect temperature and atmospheric conditions to make this happen.

Just remember, it's not a luxury car!

Yes, thank you both, Crystal and Peter. Glad to be here. And if I can get these noise issues hammered out, I'll be really, really glad to be here! :D

You're quite welcome, ExAtl! I sent you a PM with your case information; let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Unfortunately you have come from Luxury Crossovers to the more mundane Explorer. Noises are quite common, and if they are troublesome to you you are not going to be a happy owner. Things in the Explorer expand and contract, squeak and rattle, moan and groan. It's simply the nature of the beast. Sometimes I'll be amazed that my car isn't making any noise...I think it takes the perfect temperature and atmospheric conditions to make this happen.

Just remember, it's not a luxury car!

Luxury cars are not better in that regard - German luxury cars are notoriously unreliable and more expensive to fix. Even the Japanese cars have quality issues. If you look at recalls of all the manufacturers, they are increasing not only due to liability concerns but complexity of the cars - which are less about standalone parts/components and more about systems/integration.

The purpose of my original post was not to debate the validity of my Ford Explorer Sport as a "luxury" vehicle. It was instead to gather feedback from others that may have dealt with similar issues to what I'm currently experiencing. That aside, I find my 2015 Ford Explorer Sport to be much more luxurious than the previous vehicles I owned -- 2011 Lexus RX 350 and 2010 Cadillac SRX. Plus, I had to take each of those in numerous times for various mechanical issues.

Luxury cars are not better in that regard - German luxury cars are notoriously unreliable and more expensive to fix. If you look at recalls of all the manufacturers, they are increasing not only due to liability concerns but complexity of the cars - which are less about standalone parts/components and more about systems/integration.

The purpose of my original post was not to debate the validity of my Ford Explorer Sport as a "luxury" vehicle. It was instead to gather feedback from others that may have dealt with similar issues to what I'm currently experiencing. That aside, I find my 2015 Ford Explorer Sport to be much more luxurious than the previous vehicles I owned -- 2011 Lexus RX 350 and 2010 Cadillac SRX. Plus, I had to take each of those in numerous times for various mechanical issues.

Sorry for the thread drift - just wanted to point out that luxury doesn't equate to reliability.

Back to topic, I haven't experienced any of the issues that you're having and hope you get them remedied shortly. Cheers..

veloduffer, I agree with your opinion. My previous 2011 Limited was a solid and quiet ride. No squeaks or rattles. My current vehicle is a little quieter and rides a bit better but I contribute that to the longer wheel base. In my case, I haven't had issues with either one. I have no issue going back to the newer Explorer.

Peter

To the OP re: noise #1 : what octane fuel are you using?

I have tried a few tanks each of 87 and 93.

Just wonder if it's pinging/preignition. On light throttle and running 87, it wouldn't surprise me if it pinged a bit. Especially in warmer weather with the ac on. Not really harmful but I hate the sound for sure? May or may not be your issue but would worthwhile putting in a tank of 91-92-93 octane and note whether or not the sound is gone.

I have a 2015 XLT with the duel moon roofs... lots of rattling noise.

My fix: I took a pipe insulation foam tube (used to put around pipes to keep them warm/stop condensation drips) and cut them in halves. I put them inside (length of opening from passenger side door to drivers side door, both front and back) the rear openings of both moon roof openings. You can wedge them in so it fills the gap between the metal roof and the headboard. There is A LOT of room in there and it allows things to rattle when on bumpy or uneven roads.

It was quite easy to put it in and it does not interfere with the moon roof slide cover or the moon roof itself. Another poster had used rags; I had some extra pipe insulation tubes laying around. Its has worked well so far...

PS: I also noticed that the the rear A/C vents directly behind the driver and passenger seats also rattle at times. They stop as soon as you touch or reposition them.... I's working on a fix for this one.

Good Luck

You shouldn't have to start DIY fixes on a 2015 model. Why not have the dealer check it out? I had a 2011 Limited with moonroof and it never made any noise.

Peter

Awhile ago my wife put some sunglasses in the little cubby above the rearview mirror. Soon afterward this new rattle started up. To the driver it came from the right, to the passenger it came from the left...drove us crazy trying to find it until one day she told me she couldn't find her sunglasses....found them and ended the rattle!

You shouldn't have to start DIY fixes on a 2015 model. Why not have the dealer check it out? I had a 2011 Limited with moonroof and it never made any noise.

Peter

because it beats going to a dealer for hours on end and have them tell you that they can't replicate the sound and there's nothing they can do.....

just like changing my own oil, I enjoy tinkering with my car. I heard a rattle and I fixed it. No loss of day at the dealer & the problem is solved.

I think the noise issue is more specific to the DUEL moonroof and the fact that the cut outs in the headboard are very large, leaving for unsecured edges.

because it beats going to a dealer for hours on end and have them tell you that they can't replicate the sound and there's nothing they can do.....

just like changing my own oil, I enjoy tinkering with my car. I heard a rattle and I fixed it. No loss of day at the dealer & the problem is solved.

I think the noise issue is more specific to the DUEL moonroof and the fact that the cut outs in the headboard are very large, leaving for unsecured edges.

I second that. If I have any issue within warranty I try to fix it myself. If I can't fix it or I need a new part for it to be fixed that is when I take it to the dealer.

I respect the fact that you have the skills and ability to fix these issues. I wish I had those skills. The downside to not informing the deler is they dont know theres an issue and nothing gets escalated. My understanding from the Police Program Team is that the more complaints that come through the dealer to Ford in Dearborn the greater the resources are assigned to the issue.

Even the Noise Vibration Rattle engineering team wants to know if there are issues they can improve on.

If they get enough complaints things get changed and sometimes it's a running change at the plant and sometimes they hold a bunch for Job2.

Something as simple as the size of the felt foam on the back side of the female seatbelt buckle gets changed if there are too many rattle concerns.

That said, I have a rattle in my passenger seat/DVD headrest that the dealer cant find and Im stuck trying to trace it myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I respect the fact that you have the skills and ability to fix these issues. I wish I had those skills. The downside to not informing the deler is they dont know theres an issue and nothing gets escalated. My understanding from the Police Program Team is that the more complaints that come through the dealer to Ford in Dearborn the greater the resources are assigned to the issue.

Even the Noise Vibration Rattle engineering team wants to know if there are issues they can improve on.

If they get enough complaints things get changed and sometimes it's a running change at the plant and sometimes they hold a bunch for Job2.

Something as simple as the size of the felt foam on the back side of the female seatbelt buckle gets changed if there are too many rattle concerns.

That said, I have a rattle in my passenger seat/DVD headrest that the dealer cant find and Im stuck trying to trace it myself.

I understand the issues and do agree with you. My main concern is my time; I hate sitting around at the dealer! Always feel that I'm getting hosed.

Back