2016 2.3L AWD Limited Transmission slamming into gear and holding gears | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 2.3L AWD Limited Transmission slamming into gear and holding gears

JR123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I dug through the TSB's but could not find one related to the transmission. This just started happening after I did the exhaust system recall (probably not related, but just putting it out there. The issue tends to happen only after the first 5 minutes of use. When coasting, it starts shifting gears up and down, occasionally locks into a gear and holds it until turning the car on and off. It also bangs into gear exceptionally hard 2-3 times. (I felt like I was hit from behind).

Sound familiar? Ford dealer could not recreate and said no codes were thrown. Built in April 2016.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

....... (I felt like I was hit from behind).

Sound familiar? ........
That wording has been posted here several times.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I wasn't able to find anything similar, but i'll search around again...

I dug through the TSB's but could not find one related to the transmission. This just started happening after I did the exhaust system recall (probably not related, but just putting it out there. The issue tends to happen only after the first 5 minutes of use. When coasting, it starts shifting gears up and down, occasionally locks into a gear and holds it until turning the car on and off. It also bangs into gear exceptionally hard 2-3 times. (I felt like I was hit from behind).

Sound familiar? Ford dealer could not recreate and said no codes were thrown. Built in April 2016.
I had a 2011 Fusion that did the same thing and had the dealer reprogram the transmission with the latest calibration and it worked pretty well. Not sure if yours is the same fix or not.

Latest update, after a few weeks at the dealer. They were able to finally replicate the issue by following the instructions I gave them before. (This time they actually did it?) A cold start and a hill seem to be the keys to re-creating it. So, they replaced the "speed sensor"...that did nothing. They have re-flashed the firmware and are testing it today. Pretty unimpressed so far with their troubleshooting. Good news, it took weeks to do this. (Good thing I have the platinum warranty and Ford is paying for my rental car)

Have noticed this from day 1 with my 2017 Explorer sport.. reminds me of my 1990's audi.

Back