2016 ecoboost explorer overheating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 ecoboost explorer overheating

Rhett Schwent

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer sel
I really enjoy this vehicle but am having overheating issues driving in Colorado with AC on. Is this a problem with altitude? Any incline makes tempeture gauge climb and in mountains outside of Denver overheat light would come on and I was forced to use heater to try to get rid of engine heat in summer. Now just don't use AC when driving but never had this issue before with larger engines

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011+ subforum.

I really enjoy this vehicle but am having overheating issues driving in Colorado with AC on. Is this a problem with altitude? Any incline makes tempeture gauge climb and in mountains outside of Denver overheat light would come on and I was forced to use heater to try to get rid of engine heat in summer. Now just don't use AC when driving but never had this issue before with larger engines
Welcome to the Forum Rhett.:wave:
To start, which "trim level" do you have. I see it shows "sel" in the margin but there is no such trim in the 5th generation Explorer. Various trims have different Ecoboost engines.
We have members here from Colorado but I don't recall any issue identical to yours. I'm guessing that it functioned normally before this trip into the state?

Peter

Being a 2016, take it to the dealer for warranty. Possible your fans are not working properly. I believe the thermostats default to open when defective so it won't be that. You should t have issues with overheating if you are not towing.

There was only one other overheat case I've seen on the 2016+.

As blwnsmoke said, run to the dealer if you have warranty. What you're seeing isn't normal. Could be defective fans, bad temp sensors, etc. Would hate to see that engine go into fail-safe cooling (which isn't fun.) :)

Likely have to try and find a dealer in Colorado since his profile shows he's from St. Louis, Missouri.

Peter

Back