2016 Explorer XLT Low Beam Stop Working.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer XLT Low Beam Stop Working..

Zipper1217

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all, so the passenger side low beam stopped working a few days ago, does anyone know how to determine whether its the fuse, LED module or the whole assembly needs to be replace? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Borrow or buy a volts/ohms multi-meter. A $10-$25 example will be good. Set the meter to a range for 12 volts and probe the bulb socket to check for voltage with headlamps on. Using the continuity setting your can probe fuses to see if they are good or bad.

There's no "bulb socket" to check for low beams. This isn't "old school" headlights anymore. There is no fuse associated only with the low beams so that's not a needed check.

The '16 used LED lighting modules for low beam, parking, and turn signal operations. The low beams are LEDs that are not replaceable except by replacing the whole headlight module. The lighting elements are controlled by FET switches in the BCM. If the BCM detects certain types of faults, It puts the circuit into "FET protection" mode and disables it. A scan tool is REQUIRED to reset the state once the causing fault is corrected.

The first thing to do with any of these modern vehicles is to run a scan on the questionable systems to see if there are self-identified faults. Diagnostics proceed from that point.

Forscan with recommended OBDII adapter is a very good and cost-effective tool. You'll also need a multimeter.

Hi all, so the passenger side low beam stopped working a few days ago, does anyone know how to determine whether its the fuse, LED module or the whole assembly needs to be replace? Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Here is the parts list shou;d you have to replace the assembly. I don't know which one is the correct one but perhaps if you enter your VIN it may give you a better idea. FYI, Levittown is a forum vendor and offers members a discount. One of the less expensive places to buy from.

Peter

I learned something new today.

I do like my old school Jeeps, they are easier diagnose and easier to fix.

Yeah, these things have become freakin' computer networks on wheels...

Back