2016 Police Interceptor Taillights Don't Work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Police Interceptor Taillights Don't Work

Kellerellek

Reaction score
City, State
Boulder, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Police
Hopefully this hasn't been posted before, and if it has can someone point me in the right direction?

I purchased a 2016 Explorer Interceptor at auction and as I go through it there are a few issues. The one that is preventing me from driving it is the fact that the taillights do not work at all. I have no turn signals, no running light, and no brake light. The hazards do work however.

There is no power at the taillight itself. I have checked fuses but haven't done too much more to trace it out beyond that. I figured I would check here to see if I am overlooking something simple. Potentially a hidden override switch?

It appears to be wired into the strobe system which is disabled and assume that the issue lies somewhere in that mess, but can't find anyone who has been through this on any other threads.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It is likely a wiring issue of some kind. I believe that the hazards are the same as the parking lights which are also the turn signal bulbs if I'm not mistaken. Checking the PIU Owner's Manual, I don't see any fuses labelled as being specifically for the items you mentioned.
I do see these two in the engine bay fuse box.
#70 Trailer tow left-hand and right-hand stop and direction indicator lamps.
# 99 Trailer tow parking lamp relay.
Are those the ones you checked?

Peter

It is likely a wiring issue of some kind. I believe that the hazards are the same as the parking lights which are also the turn signal bulbs if I'm not mistaken. Checking the PIU Owner's Manual, I don't see any fuses labelled as being specifically for the items you mentioned.
I do see these two in the engine bay fuse box.
#70 Trailer tow left-hand and right-hand stop and direction indicator lamps.
# 99 Trailer tow parking lamp relay.
Are those the ones you checked?

Peter
Thanks for your response and happy to be a part of the forum!
I agree. I checked those two fuses, as well as the brake switch fuse (#83) and they were all in tact. I am about to go dig into it now, and will let you know what I figure out.

Thanks for your response and happy to be a part of the forum!
I agree. I checked those two fuses, as well as the brake switch fuse (#83) and they were all in tact. I am about to go dig into it now, and will let you know what I figure out.
Have you found anything out? I just bought a WI state patrol one and I have turn signal reverse lights and hazards but no marker lights or brake lights on the tail assembly only. The 3rd brake light does work when your press the brake pedal.

Have you found anything out? I just bought a WI state patrol one and I have turn signal reverse lights and hazards but no marker lights or brake lights on the tail assembly only. The 3rd brake light does work when your press the brake pedal.
The member you quoted was last seen here on November 25, 2020, so likely isn't around any longer.
You didn't say whether or not you checked fuses.

Peter

The member you quoted was last seen here on November 25, 2020, so likely isn't around any longer.
You didn't say whether or not you checked fuses.

Peter
You’re right I did miss that. Yes I did check the fuses. I have been diagnosing all day. I did finally find what the issue was. There was an added connector to run wires to the center console where the wig wag flasher module goes. Upon tracing wire back I found there to be an additional connector by the tail light assembly. I disconnected the other connector and plugged into the original harness coming off the tail light assembly. Bam just like that tail lights and rear marker lights work.

Thanks for the update. With decommissioned vehicles you can run into all kinds of issues. A lot depends on how careful the equipment removal was done.

Peter

Welcome to the forum, Stumpy. I too recently purchased an Ex-State Patrol PIU, and although I'm not experiencing any lamp issues, I did notice that there were some wiring repairs done behind the rear seat row, under that flip-up storage cover. I assume the Wig-Wag equipment was removed, and wiring was repaired and left in that storage area.

I'm not too far from Waukesha, fyi...

Welcome to the forum, Stumpy. I too recently purchased an Ex-State Patrol PIU, and although I'm not experiencing any lamp issues, I did notice that there were some wiring repairs done behind the rear seat row, under that flip-up storage cover. I assume the Wig-Wag equipment was removed, and wiring was repaired and left in that storage area.

I'm not too far from Waukesha, fyi...
I was successfully able to find it after tracing wires, it was an easy fix. Everything is functional now, I am looking for more state patrol squads to add to my fleet. If you know of any let me know

Back